Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a xt and put new strings on it now I am wondering what is the most important thing to have at spec ie. ATA , brace height, cam rotation, etc...
I ask this because my press won't fit this bow and I need to take it to a shop and make sure that I get it done the first try.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please, one of ya got to know. I am heading back today to get everything as close as I can.
What should I be most concerned about ?
I was thinking cam rotation would be the big one and as long as the ATA and BH are close I should be ok to start. My ATA is at 30.75 on the left side and my idler is straight at full draw.

I appreciate it
Nate

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do not have a Mathews bow but it seems nobody is answering your call. I am not sure if you shecked out the mathews website but I have read many different posts about tuning this bow. I cant remember the steps but I know there is a particular order to go in. i.e 1- ATA 2- Brace Height, 3-Cam rotation. Not sure if this is the order but it is something like that. Have a look at the website. I think it is www.mathewsinc.com.
The only reason I was on there site is because I would love to own a Switchback but just cant afford it. You are now another idle in my life.:wink:
Hopes this kinda helps anyway.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you sir,
I am now without a snowmobile but a new huntin bow is worth it !

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Set your ATA and then cam rotation and the BH will fall into place. Also be sure to check the idler wheel lean. This is done to ensure the string feeds straight into the idler wheel. Place a field tipped arrow flush against the shelf side of the idler wheel. The very tip of the arrow should contact the string at the nock point. If it is off to a certain side, twist up that side yoke cable to move it closer to the string. Be sure they check all the specs with the limbs cranked all the way down and back off the limb bolts a bit before pressing.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks doc!

How close does that ATA need to be, exactly 31, if so do you measure from the center of axle to the center of axle or the top of the black thing that the cable sits in to center of the bottom axle. Is 7.5 what I want the BH at?
Thanks again !

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Center of axle to center of axle. I would try to get it within 1/16".

·
Registered
131 Posts
Axle to Axle important: with the xt shelf side should be dead nuts on at 31", riser side works best if it is 1/16" longer giving you a little cam lean at rest, so when you draw the bow, your idler wheel will track good at full draw. You can ajust this by twisting your yoke cables.

Cam adjustment improtant: make sure the two timing holes on the cam are parrallel to the string. Adjust this by twisting your string, or a comination of string and cable.

Brace height not as important if the other two are in spec.

Check out the Mathews forum. A lot of info on tuning, and some pics as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts