Archery Talk Forum banner

Switched to FMJ

2295 Views 53 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  bow up
I've been using Maxima Red arrows for the last couple of years and have been pretty happy (although with repetitive shooting the outer covering tends to crack weakening the arrow), but on a friend's recommendation, I bought a half dozen Easton FMJ arrows to try.

So far, I think I'm going to like them. They're heavier for sure (on average about 40ish grains heavier) and that added weight is giving considerably more penetration on my targets. I can tell that they're flying a little slower, though and I hope that won't be a factor with string jump. I had to recalibrate my Spot Hogg to accommodate the different arrow weight and it was quite a change, but they're extremely consistent in flight and pull out of my targets easily whereas the Maximas was a struggle which leads me to believe that it'll lead to more pass throughs.

Long story short, if anyone is considering them, they're worth the money.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Elitist
6,232 Posts
Love my FMJs! Be advised, they can and will bend. Thing is, if I put one into a deer I pretty much know it's going through or busting offside shoulder. If I have to trash it afterwards, oh well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
496 Posts
I made the switch a few seasons ago and couldn't be happier. I don't see by myself switching back anytime soon!

· Registered
221 Posts
I have a newbie question concerning FMJ's. I'm assuming that FMJ's are not subject to the carbon arrow cracking/splintering/etc, since they outer metal jacket keeps the carbon contained, right?

That's a nice safety feature if you ask me. I might switch just for that feature.

Fish

· Registered
5,550 Posts
They are great arrows, but will take a bend if they are abused.
I think they do present something of a safety factor against carbon splinters through the wrist/forearm, although that concern is overblown as long as properly spined arrows are used and they are inspected before shooting, IMO.

Normal shooting from a tuned bow into a good target should have FMJ's lasting almost forever, or at least until you shoot an animal with them.

· Registered
62 Posts
IMO well worth the money. I went from shooting VAP's to 5mm FMJ's and was very pleased with the increased penetration and superior strength. I am currently shooting 4mm FMJ injections and they are by far the best hunting arrow I have ever shot. Tough as nails and amazing penetration with both fixed and mechanical broadheads. If you can stomach the price tag attached to them I would definitely recommend giving these a try.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
I bought some 5mm FMJs this summer. I've already broken 5 of the dozen arrows. One on a deer, the others at the range. I might switch back to the Axis shafts after this. They're definitely tougher IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
949 Posts
I used to use them and got sick and tired of them bending...went to Gold Tip Kinetics and have been totally happy since, especially since you can use Easton HIT components in a GT Kinetic shaft.

But, kudos on the switch to the heavier side of the force!

· Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used to use them and got sick and tired of them bending...went to Gold Tip Kinetics and have been totally happy since, especially since you can use Easton HIT components in a GT Kinetic shaft.

But, kudos on the switch to the heavier side of the force!
It's great to have the extra oomph, but I feel like it's a lot slower. I haven't chrony'd it because I'm not sure I want to know!

· Registered
971 Posts
im using the 4mm FMJ. I have not shot a deer with them yet, but my brother shot one through both shoulders. Passed through easily with no problems.

Penetration is very impressive, i was practiving in my backyard and accidentally missed my target (first time using a thumb release), my arrow ended up in my basement after passing through siding, the wood, and multiple heating vents. (lesson learned, i no longer practice in my backyard). I felt like an idiot after.

· Strive for perfection....
9,432 Posts
I'm using fmj's too.... love the accuracy and my bow is actually more quiet with a heavier arrow. As far as bending, no issues here. I shoot them into a blob target and only one arrow per dot, any arrow shot at an animal is considered a one time use item... I'll trade an arrow for a nice deer, the KE is awesome at 440 grains flying 272 fps. I'm going to look into the smaller diameter shafts soon.

· El Jefe De Equipo Mongrel
19,349 Posts
It's great to have the extra oomph, but I feel like it's a lot slower. I haven't chrony'd it because I'm not sure I want to know!
it's never bothered me when the arrow almost blows through my target

· Strive for perfection....
9,432 Posts
What makes them good? Just the weight or what? Also, if they give more penetration, how is it easier to pull out of a target? Sorry, don't know anything about them. Thanks
Spine consistency makes them accurate, extra weight equals more KE and the aluminum finish would allow them to pull out of a target easier. I'll give up 20fps for a deadly accurate and extremely quiet hunting set up.

· Registered
477 Posts
Spine consistency makes them accurate, extra weight equals more KE and the aluminum finish would allow them to pull out of a target easier. I'll give up 20fps for a deadly accurate and extremely quiet hunting set up.
Thanks for the info. I'm not pulling a lot due to my shoulder so I probably can't afford to give up that 20fps. Or I guess on the flipside, maybe the extra weight would help me since my draw weight isn't that high.

Currently shooting the Carbon Express Maxima Blu RZ's, expensive little buggers.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.