Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's opinion on shooting different make/model bows for target, hunting etc.

It seems to me that if you can, it would be to your advantage to shoot the same style riser for spots that you shoot for hunting or 3-D. I am thinking more about the grip here and less about the brace height.

I love my Hoyt (not TEC riser) for 3-D and hunting, but was thinking about getting a Martin Scepter or Hoyt Ultratec for indoor.

How many people here find it is no big deal to switch bows for competition? Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
i personally like to stay with one manufacturers bows for all my shooting. more for the feel of the grip than anything else. it just makes it that much more consistent from one to the other.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I agree with LegacyHunter as well - a familiar grip is VERY important to me... I use a Conquest Pro for spots and some target work, and use an Ultra Max for hunting and 3D... Both have the same grip(modified to my liking, of course), and use the same type of cam/idler wheel - that way, I can switch back and forth between the two, and never skip a beat - the grip, and draw cycle are identical... The Conquest holds like a rock, but the Ultra Max is quicker, and more compact - however, either can be employed for any shooting purpose I might have in mind... If I were ever to switch brands, I believe I'd just buy 2 Ultra Tecs and be all set for anything, as well - they ARE sweet!!!

- georgestrings

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would say that as long as the grip area on the riser of each bow is relatively the same and the draw lenght of each bow is set the same, they should feel similar. Probably would also help if the axle to axle lenghts were similar. I shoot a older PSE LD2400 for indoor, a Mathews Conquest 2 for 3-D. This is just my 2 cents, hope it helps. Good luck and God bless. :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Meleagris 1,

I shoot 6 compounds and 3 Traditional recurves and it doesn't make too much difference to me.
But I do find the Super Nova's grip is the most comfortable of all my compounds.
My Trails End recurve has the most comfortable grip of all my bows.
But it should since the grip was custom made to fit my hand. ;)

Sag.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I know alot of you own/shoot different brand bows so it can't be too big a deal. I guess if I can, I will try to stick with similar bows, but I won't get anal about it. :) Thanks for all the insight!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts