Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I’m a glutton for punishment and I enjoy tuning my bow too much I’m thinking of switching from my current Muzzy 125 trocars to the new Annihilator 125 grain broadheads. It got me thinking what are your opinions on changing gear, specifically broadheads, with less than a month till season open?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I accurately shoot several different brands of broadhead with no gear adjustment provided they are same weight and spin true.

To answer your question specifically I'll change heads daily.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,015 Posts
I have my bow right now shooting 7 different heads. Some mechanical and some fixed. Love tinkering with broadheads. So to answer the question yes I would have no trouble switching broadheads even on a daily basis. Lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I know I need to change my broadhead, but I just can't. I've been shooting swhackers since 2010 and They haven't let me down .

·
Registered
581 Posts
I know I need to change my broadhead, but I just can't. I've been shooting swhackers since 2010 and They haven't let me down .
If they've never let you down then you dont need to change them.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Well, the biggest reason is I've moved down to 50#. I'm still shooting around 270 fps with 400 grains so I'm still good.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, the biggest reason is I've moved down to 50#. I'm still shooting around 270 fps with 400 grains so I'm still good.
You could always go to the smaller cut version they have.

·
Gold Supporting Archer
9,364 Posts
30 days is plenty of time to switch and retune and trial. 30 days can easily give you 100 shots a day of practice, more if you are Corona locked down. lol

I see no reason to drop your old ones, they kill very well. If they are performing to your standards, why change ? Thats on you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m with Mikey on this. 30 days is plenty of time as long as you are going to shoot a good bit. If you only plan to go to the range 2 or 3 times though I’d stick with what you’ve got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Have you tried them yet? If your current setup is tuned optimal then this different head will likely fall right in there. Not everyones time available or skill to tune is the same.bOnly you can decide.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For myself I am going from a 125 grain head to a 200 grain head. Heavier arrow & heavier head. Kinda have had my feet slowing me down though.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have not changed broadheads inside of 30 days before season, as I usually pick the head I’ll use well before that. I practice a lot with that head and stick with it. Having said that, if a better head came along, I’d switch to it a few days before season. If the BH is the same weight, bow is tuned, it should not be an issue. I’m shooting Iron Will these days, have for three years and have no plans to change.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I see wind issues with them, especially with a cup. "Too each his own." As long as they shoot with field tip.Go, for it.

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
OP, as you can see some folks change their broad head regularly/often. These are the people that have their bow/arrow tuned with good form. If you do not have these things together, you might experience difficulty with a change. Is your bow bare shaft tuned to at least 20 yards?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP, as you can see some folks change their broad head regularly/often. These are the people that have their bow/arrow tuned with good form. If you do not have these things together, you might experience difficulty with a change. Is your bow bare shaft tuned to at least 20 yards?
No issues here, my bow is well tuned and shoots broadheads and field points together. I really just wanted to see what everyone’s opinions one the subject were.

-from somewhere in a hammock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts