Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of switching to either Iron Wills or Exodus'. I've noticed that the HIT inserts are pretty popular to pair up with the Iron Wills. My question is, are they neccessary? I currently have 100gr ethics inserts in all my arrows at the moment and would prefer not to buy new arrows to switch broadheads.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
It is just that Iron Will sells the aftermarket HIT insert with a collar. There is absolutely no need to use them. Ethics inserts are very good some of the best on the market.
Lots of people are using Iron Will broadheads without the HIT system. The Iron Will heads are very good no matter what inset you use. Exodus are tuff as nails also they are just not a coc head. Either way you go you will be good.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
No reason to switch if you already have the Ethics. Good system.

In my opinion the benefit of the HIT system with a collar is the pure ease of installation. You put in the HIT and screw in a broadhead and it just seems to spin every time. With a collar it has proven to be just as durable or more than an insert/outsert with less weight. Allowing you to run a 125+ grain head for additional durability.

You don't have to go with the HIT system from Iron Will. The collar is nice but there are a lot of companies making collars for them for less, including Ethics. The standard Easton aluminum or brass HIT are plenty strong.

I shoot Exodus and have been playing with multiple other heads. I like the idea of Iron Will but I've watched nearly every broadhead test out and it doesn't truly outperform other heads. Exodus actually out penetrates (with a larger cut) the Iron Will in almost every test. It is damn tough head and is one of the most used broadheads of the last 10 years and is proven. So I don't see a reason to pay for the Iron Will's.

·
Registered
17,512 Posts
Both heads are awesome heads can't go wrong with either and nope don't need to change your style of insert/outsert.

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
No reason to switch if you already have the Ethics. Good system.

In my opinion the benefit of the HIT system with a collar is the pure ease of installation. You put in the HIT and screw in a broadhead and it just seems to spin every time. With a collar it has proven to be just as durable or more than an insert/outsert with less weight. Allowing you to run a 125+ grain head for additional durability.

You don't have to go with the HIT system from Iron Will. The collar is nice but there are a lot of companies making collars for them for less, including Ethics. The standard Easton aluminum or brass HIT are plenty strong.

I shoot Exodus and have been playing with multiple other heads. I like the idea of Iron Will but I've watched nearly every broadhead test out and it doesn't truly outperform other heads. Exodus actually out penetrates (with a larger cut) the Iron Will in almost every test. It is damn tough head and is one of the most used broadheads of the last 10 years and is proven. So I don't see a reason to pay for the Iron Will's.
Please refer me to the test where Exodous out penetrates IW. I’ve used both, both are great BHs. I’ve not done any scientific comparison of the two, and each animal, and hunting situation is different, but in my anecdotal evidence, the IW penetrates better than Exodous.

329 Posts
Cemuhlbeir, Exodus is a good head, very durable. I don't know what tests you are referring to or what they shot through, but a 3-blade chisel point will not out penetrate a very sharp 2-blade with bleeders like Iron Will. I've tested many of them, and Iron Wills take way less force to penetrate hide, muscle and bones and therefore will far out penetrate. Try pushing one of each through a dead animal and you will see a big difference. As for aluminum or brass being plenty strong, that would depend on what you hit. I would agree with that for foam or ribs, but for heavy bone or rocky dirt, hardened steel or grade 5 titanium have multiple times higher strength to keep it from bending. This is based on years of testing heavy bone impacts with a lot of different arrow setups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts