Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am tired of fighting with compounds a little help please i shoot about 55# with a compound what about trad.
i will be going to a take down recurve just shooting 3d. thanks for your help

·
Registered
60 Posts
i shoot about 60# on my matthews and I bought a Martin X-150 recurve with a 50# draw and didn't have any trouble pulling it. As long as you practice alot and enjoy it you'll be fine. I like to shoot my recurve more but i still don't trust myself to hunt with it yet lol

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
I would go in the 40 - 45lb range - closer to 40 would be better.

·
Cato
4,078 Posts
You might want to consider one of the bows that will allow you to use international limb fitting type limbs. That way you can start with an inexpensive set of low poundage limbs and not invest the ranch when you want to move up. In addition, you will probably find that you want to try several bows before settling on a long term choice. Its kind of addictive. :)

Sharps advice is very solid. Developing good form is much, much easier when you can easily handle the draw weight. And like most things, good form is a platform to build good shooting on.

Luck to ya.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth:

I'd get some coaching on your form as your first priority. At bare minimum read "Shooting the Stickbow" by Tony Camera and view the DVD "Master of the Barebow 3" by Denny Sturgis Jr

Not knowing your individual strength and build I would recommend 30-45# as a starting point with a takedown recurve for most adult males. If you get one of the common models you can buy, trade or barter different limbs as needed.

As far as "fighting your compound" you'll find that stickbow shooting is both very simple and endlessly complex at the same time... (kind of like golf, over 95% of archery is form)

Have fun!

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Well said Jerry, search around on here a bit there is lots of info for beginners. Start light, start right and enjoy it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
35-40 to start with remember these bows don't let off. being overbowed will cause lots of probs. trust me. seeing as you want a take down you can always get heavier limbs if you want them. learn as much as you can about tuning and have fun

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for everyones help

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Another for the 40-45# range! When I show folks my longbows I always show them the 40#. Most adult men, especially the ones who shoot compound, can handle it without much trouble. For 3D a fast 40# is all you really need anyway, and I have a 30# that can really sling a light arrow!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I went from a 53# Hoyt Alpha Burner (65% let off) to Trad, started out with a PSE universal at 34# then to 38#, then to a recurve T/D at 45#... now 6 months later.. comfortably shooting a 54# recurve... it takes time to get use to and build up the strength.. but very enjoyeable and satisfying.. havent touch my compound in the last month or so..I'm sure I can turn it up some,, since I'm stronger now....

·
32,624 Posts
I went from a 53# Hoyt Alpha Burner (65% let off) to Trad, started out with a PSE universal at 34# then to 38#, then to a recurve T/D at 45#... now 6 months later.. comfortably shooting a 54# recurve... it takes time to get use to and build up the strength.. but very enjoyeable and satisfying.. havent touch my compound in the last month or so..I'm sure I can turn it up some,, since I'm stronger now....
Theres no doubt it will build up your strength and durablity. In no time I've gone from a strain, almost hernia, to being able to anchor and aim. Problem I have right now is the release. I can't seem to get it right.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Theres no doubt it will build up your strength and durablity. In no time I've gone from a strain, almost hernia, to being able to anchor and aim. Problem I have right now is the release. I can't seem to get it right.
Most of the guys at my local range, told me to try 3 fingers under, so I did and Man there is a huge difference.. the groups got significantly smaller and I can hit a dinner plate 8 out of 12 arrows at 40 yards (First time trying a couple of days ago), then I discover this youtube vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2PYuGNfJw) and this guy kinda shows you what he learned. I also found out my arrows are way too long and with the help of a spine calulator, I need to get my arrows trimmed.. Will report back once i get everyting in order.. good luck

·
32,624 Posts
Well, right now with my release, I'd be lucky to hit my bag at 40 yds much less a paper plate. I'm darn lucky to get 8 out of 12 at 20yds....I will get better when I go to the ILF riser and shoot lighter, shorter arrows. It's part of the learning process.....

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Your release is another reason to shoot a light bow - When you get it right with a light bow, it is easy with a heavy weight.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
i am tired of fighting with compounds a little help please i shoot about 55# with a compound what about trad.
i will be going to a take down recurve just shooting 3d. thanks for your help
Here's a simple equation that generally works for most archers making the switch.

Take your peak compound bow's draw weight and multiply it by .6 & .7

So for you....a 55lbs. compound will have you starting to learn with a trad bow between 33lbs. & 38lbs.

The ONLY way you will know for sure is by actually drawing and shooting different draw weights.

Your draw weight will be based on your personal abilities....which may be heavier than average, average or lighter than average.

Your personal draw weight should be based on your abilities and goals...NOT...because someone told you that you MUST use a real light draw weight if you want to take your shooting seriously.

Ray :shade:

·
32,624 Posts
Here's a simple equation that generally works for most archers making the switch.

Take your peak compound bow's draw weight and multiply it by .6 & .7

So for you....a 55lbs. compound will have you starting to learn with a trad bow between 33lbs. & 38lbs.

The ONLY way you will know for sure is by actually drawing and shooting different draw weights.

Your draw weight will be based on your personal abilities....which may be heavier than average, average or lighter than average.

Your personal draw weight should be based on your abilities and goals...NOT...because someone told you that you MUST use a real light draw weight if you want to take your shooting seriously.

Ray :shade:
I have a 61lb PURE that is perfect for me so I guess a 36lb recurve target bow would work for me. I'm getting 30lb limbs that should be a little over 30lbs so I should be fine for targets......right? No way I'm gonna say 35lb bow...Old Sarge would jump my case again if I did that!:wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
If your tired of messing with your compound then realistically Trad probably isn't for you. I can tune and sight-in a compound, put it away for 6 months and it'll shoot just like how I left it. You can't put a Trad bow down for 6 DAYS and expect to shoot it the same. Realistically I spend 10x as much time tuning my trad equipment as I ever did on the wheels.
Not saying you won't like trad, just don't go into it thinking that its something it isn't.

-Grant

·
Registered
393 Posts
Go for it,, best thing I ever did in archery. Still hunt compounds as well, but there's some situations that you can't beat a recurve. Plus it's just good to know both disciplines. Get good coaching,, tradtalk.com has a lot of sound advise. Don't be limited by anyone elses bs.. find what works for you and enjoy.

·
32,624 Posts
Go for it,, best thing I ever did in archery. Still hunt compounds as well, but there's some situations that you can't beat a recurve. Plus it's just good to know both disciplines. Get good coaching,, tradtalk.com has a lot of sound advise. Don't be limited by anyone elses bs.. find what works for you and enjoy.
thats why I'm getting the Excel bow and the lighter limbs. I can compare it with my SAGE and make a valued judgement. Something in between might be just the thing but thats something I'm gonna have to work out. Here is the larger photo of me in 1955!

Attachments

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guy,s it looks like i will go with the 35# sage with 28 amo and my draw i should be shooting about 31# that is where i am starting. i will share my progress with everyone thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts