Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I know shooters will often change their release mechanism they use from time to time to get better. For me, it seems you go from a wrist release, to a thumb release to a hinge. Has anyone went this route and went back to a thumb or wrist release after using a hinge release? Do you feel their is a certain type of release that every shooter should know by heart? What has been your experience over the years? I'm wanting to know what you find works best for you and what doesn't? Thanks in advance, God Bless!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
I do exactly that. The thumb release is my main release. When I start having issues with it form wise I switch to a wrist and or a hinge for a day or two then go back to the thumb. It seems to reset everything for me and my accuracy comes back with my thumb release. I will do this around a monthly basis.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I started off in the 80's shooting a wrist release; learned how to punch the trigger with it which led to crippling TP until I took up compound again some years ago. Relearned how to shoot using the surprise release with a Carter Evo - shot that as my main release for a while and ended up back at a wrist release (Like Mike which I shoot back-tension also with a surprise shot).

I played with a hinge for a while, but figured out I don't shoot handhelds in general as well as a wrist release a little late in the game so didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have almost zero experience with a thumb release.

The wrist release works the best for me because I can hold on target the best with it. It also allows me to completely relax the hand, minus the index finger tension which I use to fire the release back-tension style. This gives me a really relaxed shot.
My Carter Evos I think I'll always keep even though I don't shoot them anymore. Like I said, if I liked handhelds, the Evo would be the only release I'd ever shoot.

But since wrist straps work the best for me, I've been shooting my Like Mike full time ever since and haven't gone back to any other release types. Bought 2 extras as backups, hopefully 3 copies of it will be a lifetime supply....

lee

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have a thumb button, and a hinge in my release pouch. I hate to admit it, but I can no longer shoot an index finger release. I tried last winter when I broke my thumb button, and it was not a pretty sight.

Anyway, I pretty much am new to the hinge game. There are days when it feels great to shoot it, and others days I want to throw it away. On those bad days, I break the thumb button out. I also use the thumb button on windy days. I also do not want to get the the point where I am with an index finger release. To get so use to one type of release, I can not shoot another. I do not want to shoot the hinge 100% of the time, and not be able to get back in to the thumb button in an emergency. I actually have two release that feel very similar in the hand. It fits about the same, about the same weight, and about the same anchor. Completely different brands.

So, yes. I went from an index, to a thumb, to a hinge. But, I keep my thumb for those days that the hinge just does not seem to be working.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,701 Posts
I use a Scott Mongoose single caliper index release for hunting. For target I carry a thumb release and a hinge. I may switch back and forth during a 3D. Last 3D I started with my thumb release and about target 12 I switched and finished with my hinge.....

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Haven't used a wrist release in 20 years, I use a thumb for hunting and a hinge for target. A hinge can be a great tool to get your form and shot execution back on track. If I start getting punchy with the thumb I shoot the hinge for awhile and it really helps get me back to feeling what a good shot is again.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I went from a wrist release to a hinge, I just got my first thumb release with the intention to use it for hunting.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I started off in the 80's shooting a wrist release; learned how to punch the trigger with it which led to crippling TP until I took up compound again some years ago. Relearned how to shoot using the surprise release with a Carter Evo - shot that as my main release for a while and ended up back at a wrist release (Like Mike which I shoot back-tension also with a surprise shot).

I played with a hinge for a while, but figured out I don't shoot handhelds in general as well as a wrist release a little late in the game so didn't spend a lot of time with it. I have almost zero experience with a thumb release.

The wrist release works the best for me because I can hold on target the best with it. It also allows me to completely relax the hand, minus the index finger tension which I use to fire the release back-tension style. This gives me a really relaxed shot.
My Carter Evos I think I'll always keep even though I don't shoot them anymore. Like I said, if I liked handhelds, the Evo would be the only release I'd ever shoot.

But since wrist straps work the best for me, I've been shooting my Like Mike full time ever since and haven't gone back to any other release types. Bought 2 extras as backups, hopefully 3 copies of it will be a lifetime supply....

lee
Ill second the Like Mike release from carter.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My progression was wrist to button to hinge. Today I can shot consistently a hinge or a hinge or a hinge. I even had to start hunting with a hinge. I punch a wrist releas so bad I can miss a whole target bale at 30 yards. I do try a button occasionally and can shoot it well for a day, then the punching and panic sets in especially under tournament pressure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts