Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on switching from right to left handed shooting or vice versa. I am a right handed shooter who is left eye dominant. I have heard people say accuracy is better if u shoot with both eyes open. The problem I have is not shooting targets but hunting. When I close my eye to look through the peep I seem to loose depth perception and it bothers me. Is it worth the trouble to learn to shoot opposite and maybe be more accurate or just learn to live with it? Anyone else make the switch before?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm left handed with right eye dominant. I switched to right hand and really enjoyed the sport. No problem at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
A different take

I shoot from both sides. Primarily due to some shoulder issues, I need to switch from time to time.

First time you switch, it will be somewhat awkward. Any adult should be able to adapt.

I've never been able to determine a dominant eye, but am by nature left handed. Hunted the last 3 years right handed. No problems.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am right handed, right eye dominant, but for fun and for good reason too I bought a left handed bow as well. I believe it balances the body, plus brain research shows that, as we get older, if we do new and different things, it acitvates the brain and keeps it fresh. If I spent more time at it, I believe I would shoot better left than right. That is because I went thru all the learning and then unlearning in order to shoot properly. Once I got the left bow, I knew proper technique, so I did it right from day one.. Hence it feels to me my left handed shots are smoother, cleaner, and somehow more natural than my righties. (Hoyt Ulta-elite --right, Hoyt Pro-elite--left)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dominant left eye started showing up in my 50s. A few years ago I started shooting left and now I alternate days, left then right. Better with the dominate left eye even though that side has 1,000s less arrows flung.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts