Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some guidance on this topic - i just bought the Tru Ball HT 3 and I'm realizing that my anchor point from my trigger to hinge release is much different. Is it common to have to adjust your peep sight to compensate for this?

I was hoping to use both for a while, but they don't seem to be compatible based on anchor point.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Often you’ll have to adjust your peep when switching from a wrist release to handheld, just because the anchor point tend to be fairly different.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes, may have to adjust your peep. Critical thing though is how you anchor with your hinge. Dudley suggests (take a look at his videos by the way at Nockon.com) that you straddle your jawline with your first knuckle gap, between knuckle for your first finger and second finger. That's teh way to do it as its repeatable. I also strongly recommend trying to shoot your hinge the way George Ryalls does it: by relaxing the forefinger and letting the hinge "roll out" under your thumb after you move your thumb off of the thumb bar. I believe its way better than trying to rotate the hinge. Also, see the video on Youtube: "George Ryalls Thing a Week 16 Back Tension".

I should add that the king daddy of shot execution on AT is Padgett. Look him up and pay attention to what he has to say.

I love shooting my hinge. I put it down for a few weeks and then picked it up again today and it really shot good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for the detailed response, this helps a ton. I'm really excited to shoot my hinge - I have my whole setup dialed for my trigger release but I think I am going to jump into the hinge right away and put hunting on hold until I dial all that in.

Dudley's videos are what convinced me to make the switch. I try to shoot my trigger the way he describes (back tension, slowly pulling back with finger wrapped around the trigger etc) but I find myself anticipating at times regardless and after just half a dozen shots with the hinge I can tell it's going to be an improvement.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the detailed response, this helps a ton. I'm really excited to shoot my hinge - I have my whole setup dialed for my trigger release but I think I am going to jump into the hinge right away and put hunting on hold until I dial all that in.

Dudley's videos are what convinced me to make the switch. I try to shoot my trigger the way he describes (back tension, slowly pulling back with finger wrapped around the trigger etc) but I find myself anticipating at times regardless and after just half a dozen shots with the hinge I can tell it's going to be an improvement.

·
Socket Man
23,117 Posts
I made the choice a little over 10 years ago to become a hinge shooter and I have really enjoyed becoming one. It is a awesome craft to dive into, right now you can totally get up and running with really good setup right out of the box because we have more than one person to commit to and read or watch their stuff. Good luck and anytime you want to talk or pm I am totally willing to help in anyway that I can.

·
Socket Man
23,117 Posts
The number one issue you are going to have is accuracy, you have got to let go of it and just let yourself train and over time the accuracy you experience will be better than what you have right now. The mistake is to start shooting and comparing your hinge accuracy to your other release, this will totally slow down the progress and can even cause you to sell the hinge. Just don't do it.

For example I saw your questions about the peep, Just take it out. You need to work on setting up the hinge release with the proper speed setting and you need to learn how to grip the hinge with the j hook grip so right now you don't need the peep. Finding the good anchor position is way more important so taking out the peep keeps you from fighting with it to try and make it work.

Again accuracy isn't the goal. Getting up and running is the goal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Padgett, I am keeping the peep in but I'm not shooting for accuracy right now, just getting a feel for the release and doing my homework online about the shooting steps using a hinge. Really liking how it changes my shooting.

I'd like to try and post a picture of my form and see where I can improve. Maybe I'll be able to get an image of me at full draw today.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One question - when you switched did you find that over time you changed your draw length as well?

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,317 Posts
Yea, I would take the peep out for a few weeks and shoot at 2 yards working on nothing more than executing a strong shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only reason I'm not taking the peep out is that I don't live near a bow shop - so it's about a full hour of driving to remove the peep and another full hour of driving to put it back in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am just shooting thinking only about the shot process though, and not worrying about my accuracy right now.

·
Socket Man
23,117 Posts
One trick is to take some black tape and go around the peep so you can't see through it and then you can shoot and find the proper anchor position.

·
Socket Man
23,117 Posts
You asked about draw length, overall most people have never done any shooting form work and have just shot for years. Right now is a perfect time to have someone really look you over and see what is going on so you can dial in your draw length.

Draw length on most bows is done in half inch settings but finding your perfect draw length is down to a 1/8 inch, right now your job is to get good shooting form and get in the right half inch setting on your bow. Then down the road you can finalize the setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts