Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:darkbeer: Guys, I shoot a 60# 301/2" Switchback. I am looking for a neat target bow. Does anybody have any thoughts on the Oneida and what model might work. Thanks a lot. I only started archery two years ago and it has passed golf and flyfishing as my favorite hobby. I joined this site last week and it has really been great!!

·
Registered
10,986 Posts
rjfeld said:
:darkbeer: Guys, I shoot a 60# 301/2" Switchback. I am looking for a neat target bow. Does anybody have any thoughts on the Oneida and what model might work. Thanks a lot. I only started archery two years ago and it has passed golf and flyfishing as my favorite hobby. I joined this site last week and it has really been great!!
Well . . . if it helps, I used to shoot an Oneida and now I shoot a Switchback. Both great bows. I will say the Switchback is the second-best bow I have ever shot. The best is my Apex.

That said, the Oneida was a real good shooter too. But I had two issues with the bow that made me get rid of it. First, I don't know if I have a long neck or not (I think not overly long) but when I switched to learning to shoot back tension I discovered that the sight window on the Oneida was a bit too short. I had to dip my head down to line up the sight. (Not conducive to shooting back tension.) I also didn't like how often the power cables wore out. I would have been okay if they shot consistenly for 5000 or so shots and went all at once but they would gradually decline in effectiveness until you replaced them. Realistically, I'd get about 2000-3000 shots out of mine. I shoot A LOT so this was an issue.

The Oneida is an accurate shooter, easy to maintain (easier then ANY other bow on the market . . . even with switching cables . . its very simple), has an incredibly smooth draw and is IMO second to none as a hunting bow. But the Switchback is dang good too! Shoot 'em both and buy the one you like best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts