Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ADVICE PLEASE!!!

I was just showing my near-new '05 UltraTec to my brother - I told him to draw it but NOT to drive fire it and GUESS WHAT? HE DID!!! sorta And the string broke.

The archery shop I use had told me the was some inexplicable serving wrapped in a spot where there shouldnt be any serving - they suspected the string might have been frayed and he previous owner was trying to slow the fraying condition - but that is also the spot the string broke.

I havent shot the bow but about 30 arrows - the person I bought the bow from claimed he had shot the bow less than x 200.

I had already ordered a new Winner'sw Choice string and cables based on what the tech at the archery shop said...

But any way - my brother was helping the string forward - I dont know whether the string broke while he was helping it forward - or ifin it slipped and broke becuz it was partially dry-fired.

Are the limbs now junk? Can they be checked??? What should I do?

Advice please - help!!!

· Registered
8,465 Posts
Let the shop look at it. I can tell you form personal experience that Hoyt limbs are extremely durable. Even the Reflex molded limbs hold up well to such abuse. I've dry-fired about every bow I've owned. Not one has been damaged (knock on wood). Don't worry, just get it checked out.

· Registered
8,465 Posts
archerdad said:
note to self... don't buy a used bow from xp....:tongue: ;) :rofl:
No, I wouldn't suggest it. Hahaha:teeth: Really, though, they are all still fine and I shoot them. Maybe 'til one blows up, huh? I won't stop shooting them until then. Believe me, it makes me worry when it happens. Either I've been lucky or those 3/4" straight limbs are really tough. Maybe both.

· Registered
1,457 Posts
?????

Not to be a jerk but next time have your brother draw it with an arrow nocked and in front of a target. If this can't be done then I wouldn't let anyone draw it back. Good luck hope everything is alright.

· The Death of Many
2,736 Posts
Wasnt it Hoyt that used to have the dry fire test machine on display. It would draw and dryfire a bow over and over. They would just keep putting another string on it when it would break. I cant remember how many times they could dryfire one without limb or riser failure but it was alot.

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice and support

Thank you for the advice & support. Definitely a rookie :frusty: ****** learning experience. If someone wants to experience pulling a bow - they can use my old Jennings WITH AN ARROW ON THE STRING!

Thanks again to all!

Enjoy your T-day leftovers!

Kurt

· Registered
1,047 Posts
ozarkmtnhunter said:
Wasnt it Hoyt that used to have the dry fire test machine on display. It would draw and dryfire a bow over and over. They would just keep putting another string on it when it would break. I cant remember how many times they could dryfire one without limb or riser failure but it was alot.
I thought that was high country with their carbon rizer bows but I could be wrong.:confused:

· Registered
1,796 Posts
ozarkmtnhunter said:
was well over 1000.........;)

· Registered
496 Posts
XP35 said:
No, it was Hoyt. They would bang away all day practically. Wasn't it like 1000 dryfires? Memory is failing..................................huh?
If he is talking about the ATA shows itwas High Country not hoyt. High country used to do the advertising that way and it was "over 10,000 dry fires"

· Come on October!!!!
3,377 Posts
Careful

I second the suggestion of drawing the bow with an arrow on the string. Xi had the enclosed dry fire machine at all the sportsmans shows. They had an automated mechanism that would grab the string and pull the bow to full draw and release, repeat, repeatetc. Quite an impressive display. Oh yes they had a counter as well.. . .

· EXTREME BOWSTRINGS
11,638 Posts
nccrutch said:
I know XI did it at the shows. We were a dealer for them.
Yep I know XI did it also, I saw the XI EXTREME bow which was dry fired repeatedly with no limb damage and it had over 1000 shots on it.

· Registered
233 Posts
dry fire

Hey man most people on here have either dry fired their bow or had somebody do it for them the main thing to check is the limbs for any cracks but don't forget to check the axels I have seen them bend more times than the limbs be damaged.
BQ>>>-------------->(x):cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.