Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a tab with a felt spacer. Having never shot with a tab or a recurve for that matter, this seemed the way to go for me. I thought it might help me to keep from pinching the arrow. I was just wondering what everyone's opnion on this is.

Also, what you shoot and why you feel it is the way to go.

Being new to recurve I am open to other views and opnions and willing to learn all I can about traditional shooting.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I used to shoot with a Damascus Shooting Glove. I then switched to a Black Widow Three Under Tab which I feel for me, is 10 times better than the glove. I just bought a Cavalier Elite Finger Tab and I use three under with it. The Cavalier was an excellent investment imo. Far better than the Black Widow because of the construction, stability and the string that secures it on your finger is better than the little velcro strap that the Black Widwo has. It now includes the finger spacer and adjustable ledge and I don't use either.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've used a heap of different tabs and had settled on the Black Widow,,until I started to get anal about noise,which I feel the BW makes to much of.
I removed the center strip from one of my Widows an that made it less noisy,but it was then a bit hard on my bottem finger,so I went back to an old favourite, which is the Saunders Pac it tab.
Even with this tab which can be altered to suit the indervidual,I ended up using to piece of slippery leather from another source to face it with,and now I have what I want,,,,for now.
I do intend to try a Cavalier some time in the near future,an probably should of bought one a long time ago,,,but I like to do things the hard way:embara:
What ever you choose I do feel a tab with a spacer is easier to shoot than without the spacer,,unless you shoot 3 under,an then it doesn't matter either way.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have shot both over the years....but now I shoot with a glove all the time...just feels right for me...Steve

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
For some reason I've never liked the feeling of a glove when shoting "maybe I haven't tried the right glove" but the split finger tab by Vista has felt just right to me & have made a few of my own similar to it.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I use both for different applications. When I am on the target range, I am shooting a Black Widow 3-under tab. When I am in the woods I am shooting a glove.

·
Registered
463 Posts
try the two out and which ever feels more comfortable go with it

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Calf hair tab for me.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I use a glove and a tab.

the glove is a Super Glove with the cordovan tips.

The tab is a typical calf hair tab with spacer.

The tab gives me a cleaner release. The tab can also be worn over a glove in the winter, and it doesn't make my fingers sweat in the summer.

The glove allows for faster follow-up shots and less "fussing" since it doesn't flop around.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
I prefer a glove. I just personally like the added assurance of it always being there when I need it instead of having to adjust it to make sure it's in the right place. It also allows me to speed shoot faster.

For me...the best glove is the Big Shot made by American Leathers.

Ray ;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I shoot both but prefer my Damascus glove.

·
Registered
10,042 Posts
I've made and used both. I use the glove for the most part because it's a little faster on the draw, but tabs are so veyr much easier to make and replace, as well as allowing you to feel more of the string. I used to have toruble with tabs until I red Viper's book and trimmed the one I'd made down, and now I don't have nearly as much problem, and can understand for once why people would use them hunting:D.

Use whichever you prefer. Both are excellent options, and should work to the individual's taste.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I shoot a damascus glove. The main reason I shoot a glove is because of hunting. IMO a glove is much easier for hunting. You put it on and don't worry about it. Also I can wear it under fingerless gloves when it is cold.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Like most, i use both. I think i get a little cleaner release with the tab, but for hunting i always grab the glove. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm partial to the black widow tabs. They seem to offer the best compromise between protection and a clean release. The gloves are faster on the string, but I've never been able to get the arrow away as consistantly as I like. The thin calf hair tabs have the best release, but after 40 shots, my fingers are tingling.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Both

Another for both, I use a Split finger Tab when shooting my Compound and a glove when shooting Traditional. For no other reason than that is what I started with so that is what I prefer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just started using the SAM tab and love it. It doesn't flop around like other tabs. I was using as split finger with a corfam face. But it was floppy. I did not like the BW at all.

JD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts