Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you shoot with? What are the pros/cons of each? I can see how a tab might be smoother on the release..but wouldn't a glove give you more of a "feel" on the string? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm new to archery..hoping to get a traditional recurve :D and I'm wondering what others use to shoot. Thanks!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I shoot a Super Glove right now. I like it because its easy-already on when you need it. However, I'm starting to shoot longer distances and think that I'm going back to a tab. Mainly so I can feel my anchor better!?!
M45- you might as well get ready!! the bare finger shooters are going to pounce for not including them!!!:D :D

Happy shooting

Hasbro

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I tried using a tab and didn't like having it on my hand flopping about when I was not shooting (recovering arrows ect.). Also, I am of the opinion that I get a better "feel" of the string with a glove. The glove I use is just a standard issue glove. I like having it always ready and I haven't been bothered in the least by having it on when I am doing stuff like pulling arrows. Just an opinion, mind you.

Unless you find that having the glove on your fingers bothers you when doing non-shooting chores like recovering arrows then the only advantage I can see for a tab is that some of them have a spacer built in so that you won't pinch the arrow nock when drawing (assuming you use the split finger Mediterranean release).

All in all, I would suggest that you go ahead and try both and see which one you like as the choice really doesn't seem to be an objective one.

·
Registered
21,069 Posts
M45 -

The Glove feels more natureal to most people, and MAY afford a little better finger protection. The tab on the other hand (no pun), will "usually" give a slightly better release, as the string is coming off a more uniform surface. Just remember, there are dozens of tabs on the market. For heaver bows, look at the Archery Mitt, that Martin is now selling. I new the guys you designed it back in the 70's, and am still using them. They are pretty thick, and so not the greatest for light bows, less than #40, but for the heavy stuff, they rule, IMHO. The Cavilier Elite (several types) works well for the light target bows.

BTW - in the old days, be fore the Mitt, a bunch of us used a tab OVER a glove, when using bows in the #70 - #100 range, talk about the best of both worlds!!!

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Double-Take.....

Viper,
Thanks for an informative testimonial. Mabey I'll have to give that Archery Mitt a try........(especially since I can always do with a bit more finger protection). Thats the thing with making a choice like this; you feel sold on one way until someone tells you something you didn't know and then you just have to try it.

·
Registered
21,069 Posts
Kipsap -

hehe - I guess it did sound like a testimonial, :D .

It's not "perfect", for the reasons I mentioned, but it really does the job well on the heavies. Takes a little breaking it and you will have to trim it, like any other tab.

Give it a try, don't think you'll be disapointed.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Tried the archery mit and didn't like it. Seems I got a better release with a Black Widow Tap. AND what's the most important part of the shot ------- the release. You can have your bow arm in the exact correct position and if you don't have a good release you have a miss.

Another reason I didn't like the archery mit was because it was always in the way. With the Black Widow, I move the tap to the back side of my hand and I don't know it's there. I actually put treesands up with my tap on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reversing the tab definitely helps when attempting tasks requiring more dexterity, however, I use a damascus style glove since I'm used to pulling arrows with it now.

I like the style because it has a leather panel that connects to the wrist strap across the palm to the finger stalls as well as the back of the hand and this reduces the tendency of the finger stalls to twist, something that tends to happen when there's only a panel across the back of the hand.

I used to think tabs provided cleaner releases but now I'm not so sure. I think that might only be true with a very shallow grasp on the string. With a deeper hook I don't see much to recommend tabs over gloves really. Gloves develop creases and so do tabs. Gloves can sometimes stick to the string causing it to shave them a little but once that's done, there's isn't much sticking from then on.

Tabs often employ fur to reduce sticking but the fur tends to wear off so over time the tab becomes less efficient whereas the glove might become more efficient. For that reason I think gloves are definitely better in the long run because they tend to last longer.

I haven't noticed a great deal of difference between the tabs and gloves with regard to arrow nock pinching. It's definitely a problem with some tabs that don't have the spacer in between the index and middle fingers but I don't notice it with the glove so much unless the finger stalls twist out of proper alignment. Again that's why I prefer the damascus style glove.

But as always, much depends on how one shoots, how often, or for what purposes. I've just never felt really comfortable with tabs for some reason. They've never seemed quite "natural".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts