Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finnished my jig / stretcher Im a 20 yr+ machinist so its my own design but typical to a little Jon, but with a lead screw for tensioning. real heavy duty. A three post Jig.
My question is what do you Guys use for tag end clamps I used some spring clamps "hear and there" but what a pain I need something to hold the ends solid and out of the way til I get the lay up correct with the tags at the proper ends etc, maybe a picture of a two color just the lay up with the ends shown

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I made a heavier version of this in post #97 http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2062893&page=4 he shows it being used to keep string from twisting while serving in post #4 which is what I use it for and works great as I have something different I like for holding tag ends but probably wouldnt work for you. He shows in post #136 holding tags ends with it also. Not sure but by other post I think he has it behind his jig. Ive also seen this basic thing on a round stock on a offset base so it can swivel. I would make a more solid one than the one in thread imo so you don't get flex but the upside is unscrewing wing nut and you have both tags loose vs all that unwinding off post. I couldn't get the unwinding down smoothly so went a whole different way but am considering making another one as in thread but rock solid so it doesn't flex. Mine has the slightest flex but works well for the serving thing.
If you want I can post a pic of mine tonight but I think I would make it with the rod so it is solid and make it easily removable to get out of the way.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
I have the lil Jon jig,and just use the rivets to tie my tags around..

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
i use the round pieces off of used valve stems and 1/4" all thread rod and sandwich the round pieces between two finder washers and two nuts. mount them on uni-strut with spring nuts.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I built mine into both jig heads.
Tapped a 1/4" x 20 thread count hole on each side of the body and then ran a 1 inch bolt in, secured it with a nut, cut the head off and put a wing nut in place.
Very quick lay up and keeps your tag ends in line with the rest of the work.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
I built mine into both jig heads.
Tapped a 1/4" x 20 thread count hole on each side of the body and then ran a 1 inch bolt in, secured it with a nut, cut the head off and put a wing nut in place.
Very quick lay up and keeps your tag ends in line with the rest of the work.
I like it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts