Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden I am getting a consistant tail left tear while shooting through paper.

And by consistant I mean that it doesn't matter what arrow or rest or combination of the two I'm shooting. I get a roughly inch to inch and a half tail left tear.

So far I've tried GoldTip XT Hunter 5575, Beman MFX 400, Carbon Express Terminator Lite Hunter 6075, Easton FMJ 400...

On these I have tried both 100 and 125 grain field points.

I have also tried shooting a Limbdriver, NAP Smart Rest, Whisker Biscuit, RipCord, and Trophy Taker FC.

I can't seem to get a handle on this.

The ONLY thing that has changed recently is the splinter in the bottom left limb of my AM32. I'm currently awaiting new limbs and pockets for that, so I don't have any way to verify that this might be the issue, though I can't imagine it being so. I can get it close moving the rest towards the riser, however it eventually gets to a point where I can't move it over and further.

The setup looks like this,

2009 Hoyt AlphaMax32
28" - 70#

All the arrows have been cut down to 26".

Also, I'm a little anal and like to shoot through paper and then verify with walkback tuning, so none of this "forget the paper" garbage please.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm aware of, no.

Never had an issue with it previously.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Cam

My Hoyt Katera was doing that , we switched out the cam on the bottom and bullet hole after bullet hole, just a thought, good luck.:shade:

·
edthearcher
6,457 Posts
o.k. to start with how far is it from the riser to the center of your arrow??? should be 3/4 to 13/16 period. 2nd is your arrow traveling close to the center of your rest mounting hole. 3rd is your nocking point set at 90 degrees or in other words 1/8 high. if all the above is true next step. is your draw stops hitting at the same time????
if all the above is true than you should have only a little tweaking to do

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Timing is absolutely perfect and hasn't budged since the string has been broken in. I check every few days.

I've not yet measured from the riser to the arrow, thats something I should do.

My arrow is just below center of the rest mounting hole, which is where I generally set my rests up at.

My nocking point is definitely set to 90 degrees.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I wouldn't get too far into it, really. By the time you get it right(if you can) your new limbs will arrive and you'll be starting all over.

If you absolutely cannot wait, I'd try rotating the limbs(like tires). I have a hunch you'd just reverse the current problem, but it's also possible that it may correct it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try a lighter spined arrow. I've had the same problem in the past. Even though all the arrow charts showed me shooting the correct arrow, I found that they were always a little too stiff and therefore I was always tearing left.

·
edthearcher
6,457 Posts
Timing is absolutely perfect and hasn't budged since the string has been broken in. I check every few days.

I've not yet measured from the riser to the arrow, thats something I should do.

My arrow is just below center of the rest mounting hole, which is where I generally set my rests up at.

My nocking point is definitely set to 90 degrees.
move it up thats the sweet spot for hoyts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you have the factory strings with a floating yolk, or aftremarket with a static yolk, I have found that with static yolks a couple twist to realine the top cam would help fix tears in the paper. just something to look at.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If the splintering of the limb was from an impact----I would check the riser to be sure it isn't bent slightly-----it does happen with a fall/drop or ????
That's how it would read out as a left tear on a rt handed riser ------best I can remember-----

If this might be the case give me a PM about it---maybe able to help-----maybe/not

Cec

1 - 15 of 15 Posts