Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the guy that came up with that I'd like to kick him in the gnuts! My 13 year old daughter showed some interest in hunting a couple years ago. Since then she has killed her first turkey and deer. Well she is growing faster then the clothes I can put on her. Another $150 trip to Walmart this morning for a hunt this weekend. A friend was generous enough to offer a landowner buck tag for his farm on a fantastic piece of property in a coveted.
area.
But in all seriousness there's no amount of money in the world spent, that isn't worth the time you spend with your kids... Doing what you both love to do.
I'll digress... Take a kid hunting!

· Registered
440 Posts
with all the drury and lakosky impersonators leasing up all the land, it may not be wise to introduce competition to the sport as terrible as that sounds. my own kids someday of course i will, but others it almost seems unwise.

· Registered
440 Posts
okay maybe i was a little extreme, but the point is it is tough to introduce anybody to the sport with the current climate of hard to find and expensive access. i was mainly making a statement about the future of hunting overall. of course you need to recruit new hunters, but the current climate makes it tough to do so. finding a place that actually has a few deer is hard enough. i could take a kid on some public land where you're lucky to see a deer and they'll go back to their video games pretty quick.

· Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am a firm believer in if a kid shows an intrest it is up you to get them in the best clothes and equipment you can afford. Gone are the days of handme down red flannel coats and moon boots.
My 17 year old was out for Thanksgiving. Thank god he can wear my clothes. We traveled 3 hours to our farm chased pheasants for a couple days. I bought everything probably set me back $1000 for the 5 days. He was talking to me about bowhunting, he's got an old pse bow with aluminum arrows he shoots back home. We went to the range one morning and I let him shoot my Z7 BIG MISTAKE! He decided he wanted a bow for Christmas instead of waders. I found him a compete Elite bow here on the classifieds. Sure glad the next one coming up is only 7 months old. I might have a chance to come up for air by then.

· Registered
11,292 Posts
Boy I know the feeling LOL. My son is seven and already he insists the bucks I have on trail cam are "his" deer and I can't shoot them. Dream on Jr! haha. It is frustrating at times trying to keep him quiet and still long enough to see a deer but I do enjoy it and we have had some great hunts together.

· Registered
2,574 Posts
Have to pass on the love and knowledge.

Nephews first deer hunt. Me and his Papa took him on Virginia's Youth Day this year.
Face Facial expression Smile Cheek Forehead

This fellow is not even kin to me. He is the son of my sister-in-law's friend. He's a good kid and loves to hunt. He killed his first spring turkey with me a couple years ago and wanted to go hunting with me again this past season. We put the jet boat in and floated the river. Ended up tearing my trolling motor up....but I got the boy a bird and he was tickled wit this jake.
Tree Photography Fur Recreation

This is my little league baseball team that my brother and I sponsored (RiverBottomOutdoors.com). The boys won first place in the league and at the end of the season we gave every player a fishing pole set.
Social group Team Fun Crew Longboard

Team Sports uniform Competition event Championship Sports

· Registered
694 Posts
Two boys here 10 and 12, both like hunting. It's expensive stuff. Without Cabela's points, i'm not sure what I'd do...Deer/Turkey hunting land we have access to (private) is getting more and more full. I'm not certain about the future of the sport for them. I know it won't be as good/simple as when I got into it.
Add in all the other sports/activities they are involved in and its hard to find the time, let alone the money.

· Registered
71 Posts
You cannot place a dollar value on the good memories you would have sharing a hunt with your kid. Mine is 3 years old right now and still a little small/young. I cannot wait till he gets old enough to go and sit in a stand/blind with me.

· Registered
3,555 Posts
Raising kids is expensive, raising them right costs even more. The investment is worth every penny, I love taking my kids hunting. Even if we only sit in the stand an hour, the price of admission is worth it.

· Registered
54 Posts
It Needs to Happen to keep them on track

I was able to grow up on the water or in the woods daily.
There was never a worry about where we were and my parents did not have to watch over us, there was no worry about all the crazy people in the world.
And where I grew up everyone knew everyone.
I feel so bad that my kids are not able to do the same things I did as a kid, because at this point in my life we live in a neighborhood surround by concert and they have crazy/bad people everywhere.
Working full time and having a full time side business it just not make since for me to live where I want at this time in my life.
So I send any extra money and time I do my best to keep my kids outdoors.

This includes hunting and fishing as much as I can, and even though my wife did not grow up this way she is in full support.
Even was able to get here to pull the trigger

Attachments

· Premium Member
27,366 Posts
I was 3,the first time i ever went hunting with my dad....33 years later im still hunting with my dad......Grizz

· Super Moderator
20,486 Posts
with all the drury and lakosky impersonators leasing up all the land, it may not be wise to introduce competition to the sport as terrible as that sounds. my own kids someday of course i will, but others it almost seems unwise.
If you're more interested in not promoting our sport to the younger generation because you're worried about losing access to ground.... Well, I pity you.

· Registered
36 Posts
Deer hunting Elk Trophy hunting Hunting Reindeer
Maybe some day they will return the favor. My son had to back out of our Kentucky deer hunting trip, so I was able to take my dad. He killed the biggest buck in his 74 years and I was able to sit next to him doing it. Loved every minute of it.... sorry for switching the thread up!

· Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 3333001 Maybe some day they will return the favor. My son had to back out of our Kentucky deer hunting trip, so I was able to take my dad. He killed the biggest buck in his 74 years and I was able to sit next to him doing it. Loved every minute of it.... sorry for switching the thread up!
I know it was done with a rifle. We tried getting it done with a bow, but it just didn't happen.

· Registered
363 Posts
As the father of a child that is confined to a wheel chair and disabled due to a horrible disease. You have no idea how bad I want him to be able to be in a stand with me, pulling the bow back or trigger on his first kill.

I don't care how much it cost, if my son could do any of that, I'd pay it.

Attachments

· Vendor
28,416 Posts
Have to pass on the love and knowledge.

Nephews first deer hunt. Me and his Papa took him on Virginia's Youth Day this year.
View attachment 3332289

This fellow is not even kin to me. He is the son of my sister-in-law's friend. He's a good kid and loves to hunt. He killed his first spring turkey with me a couple years ago and wanted to go hunting with me again this past season. We put the jet boat in and floated the river. Ended up tearing my trolling motor up....but I got the boy a bird and he was tickled wit this jake.
View attachment 3332337

This is my little league baseball team that my brother and I sponsored (RiverBottomOutdoors.com). The boys won first place in the league and at the end of the season we gave every player a fishing pole set.
View attachment 3332345
View attachment 3332361
Its good to see you planting the seeds of the future. Well done RB.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.