Archery Talk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

Behind the shoulder and it’s one lung and liver. If you wait 6-8 hours you’ll probably find him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personally, I like to watch them die in 10 seconds, walk to where they lay after 30 min, take some pics, and start field dressing. I'd never plan a shot around an expected 6-8 hour wait. Too many coyotes where I hunt to ever get any backstraps that way!

·
Vendor
25,105 Posts
With a 60 lb compound bow, I would wait for a better shot. At 18 yards and my Scorpyd crossbow and a Grim Reaper. I wouldn't hesitate to aim where the crease in the neck from the shoulder and brisket meets if I'm on the ground. From the treestand a little higher. There is at least 4'' on that deer shown between the shoulders exposing lungs, arteries, liver. If I can't hit 1.5 inches at 18 yards, I'm not hunting period.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Skip ahead to 4 minutes for the good stuff

Wow first time I watched ranch fairy hope it's my last. He preaches shoulder shots then had his guys shoot way to far back in quartering shots. Some are 6"-8" to far back. Shooting deer that far back are not their little fix heads strong suit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

I finally dug up old pics here's a perfect match to the op opening pic. Top pic entrance bottom pic exit (by his um man thing)the red spot edge of pic. 25 yards treestand. He went a whole 30 yards. No heavy bones. Just ribs.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
With a 60 lb compound bow, I would wait for a better shot. At 18 yards and my Scorpyd crossbow and a Grim Reaper. I wouldn't hesitate to aim where the crease in the neck from the shoulder and brisket meets if I'm on the ground. From the treestand a little higher. There is at least 4'' on that deer shown between the shoulders exposing lungs, arteries, liver. If I can't hit 1.5 inches at 18 yards, I'm not hunting period.
Jim I was a huge reaper fan. But I had two not get the job done on heavy bone. They have failed a couple times on heavy bones on my tests also. Kinda inconsistent. Shot a ball joint test with my kids 45# bow shattered bone but head blew up.

·
Registered
Prime Black 1, cheap 40# Recurve
577 Posts
Wow first time I watched ranch fairy hope it's my last. He preaches shoulder shots then had his guys shoot way to far back in quartering shots. Some are 6"-8" to far back. Shooting deer that far back are not their little fix heads strong suit.
He never told anyone to shoot far back. He was commenting on old footage that the Hunting Public let him use showing shots they had taken and how they turned out. You will never hear Troy (Ranch Fairy) tell anyone to shoot back.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im true new to this whole hunting thing and between reading thing on here and watching YouTube I have a question. What is the difference of 1/4 to vs 1/4 away? The angles are still the same. I based off shots ive taken and the confidence in my shot placement and my equipment would take the shot. Even with the hard angle you will hit the vitals and cause massive damage. I wouldnt shoot behind the shoulder. But right in front lining up with the tree to the left. Its the same has a hard away shot one thing ive picked up from this trend alone is some people with shot and other wont. Everyone has their own reasons. Some stronger than others. But man if some of yall dont sound like babies. Its kinda annoying. Sorry for the small rant at the end. Shot dont shot do what you feel is best for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Difference is your hitting heavy bone before vitals compared to heavy bone after vitals. Your window is small in front of shoulder larger behind. We all want perfect kills no one wants a cripple but you can be off a little shooting behind the shoulder and be fatal if you're a little in front you have a 3 legged deer.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He never told anyone to shoot far back. He was commenting on old footage that the Hunting Public let me use showing shots they had taken and how they turned out. You will never hear Troy (Ranch Fairy) tell anyone to shoot back.
He picked bad shots to try n prove his points.He never said now if these guys shot closer to the shoulder the deer would of been dead as fast as mine. Where is he shooting these deer down south somewhere. Small bone structure.

·
Registered
Prime Black 1, cheap 40# Recurve
577 Posts
He picked bad shots to try n prove his points.He never said now if these guys shot closer to the shoulder the deer would of been dead as fast as mine. Where is he shooting these deer down south somewhere. Small bone structure.
He’s based in Texas. The Hunting Public hunts all over the Midwest mostly.If you watch the first to Quartering To videos he points out that the further back shots took longer to recover and you should shoot very tight behind the shoulder of the angle isn’t too extreme. If the angle is very extreme shooting in front of the shoulder will hit major arteries, heart, and at least one lung.
Aim for the exit.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He's advacating pounding through bone with "man arrow" and little head. Because if little head doesn't catch both lungs or heart or artery your screwed

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree everyone want the cleanest and quickest kill. Or at least they should want that.

Where I get lost in this whole debate is everyone shoots different set ups. Should a short draw low poundage take that shot? I dont think so. But should some with a high poundage longer draw? Maybe. Its different for everyone.

18 yard 550 grain arrow out of 29 in draw 70 pounds single bevel head. I would shoot aiming for the red circle.

Ive take that shot but flipped on a pig and 20 up. So a little different. Or a lot depending on who you are. Through ribs and through sternum.

Also in this angle aiming behind the shoulder would with out a doubt put you in the guts and maybe one lung. To me thats is a least than ideal placement than the red circle. Say he does jump the string he most likely turns to a straight frontal shot placing you in the house or turns and puts you into the shoulder which i agree isnt ideal. However depending on your set up could or couldn't be a problem. Based on the picture he doesnt look like he is on high alert.

Maybe my thinking is way off. Everyday is a learning day.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Scapula sits a little higher giving a nice pocket to tuck it into. If he does drop with that red dot now you got a neck shot or shoulder blocking your aim point. If he ducks or turns at behind the front shoulder hold it's high lung. If he turns either way it's double lung or worse case the same as the forward aiming point.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I could be off base here but personally I’ve never had a deer turn into an arrow, always away. So both shot scenarios, be it forward or behind the shoulder, you’re gonna be screwed. There is a very small margin of error for both choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wild bill i would agree they do whatever they can not to be dead and both are tight shots.

I just trying to understand we people would or not shot. And why, if shooting, the reason for placement.

Ive been under the impression that you should try to stay out of the guts and to shot for the exit. Aim small miss small. Quickest and cleanest.

Im not the bright bulb around and learning things and picture books are my friend haha

I guess im having a hard time understanding why 168 is placing it behind the shoulder.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Because twice in front of shoulder failed me. Once I shot one like ranch fairy said. 76 lbs arrow deflected back never exited. Crazy sight deer just refused to go down huge body buck. Run 100 yd stop wobble run again. Did this for 3/4 mile spent day looking in cornfield never found him. He went back almost 3/4 mile died 100 yards from treestand. Neighbor hit one lost it found mine and claimed it.Second one head opened in flight. Hit shoulder got 8-9" of penetration so 1 lung trespasser jumped him 5 min after I shot.

121 - 140 of 194 Posts