Archery Talk Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im not saying its ok to tickle anything. I want to stay out of the gut either way. Which is why I'm asking. Based on the angle of the deer, from what i can tell, depending on placement of the shot, the angle at which the arrow go through the deer. Inside the shoulder it should stay out of the guts and through all the vitals with a shorter path through. Outside of shoulder smaller area of the vitals being hit longer distance through the deer and guts.

But based off past event you choose your shot placement. I understand why now. That brings more to the table than someone saying its stupid and telling someone they are wrong for taking. Thank you.

Having a head open up in flight sucks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
Your shot here is a 3" circle in front of the shoulder, cutting arteries over heart and opposite lung.
I would be tempted, That is a 10 out of 10 shot and he is not ducking much at 18 yards.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Im not saying its ok to tickle anything. I want to stay out of the gut either way. Which is why I'm asking. Based on the angle of the deer, from what i can tell, depending on placement of the shot, the angle at which the arrow go through the deer. Inside the shoulder it should stay out of the guts and through all the vitals with a shorter path through. Outside of shoulder smaller area of the vitals being hit longer distance through the deer and guts.

But based off past event you choose your shot placement. I understand why now. That brings more to the table than someone saying its stupid and telling someone they are wrong for taking. Thank you.

Having a head open up in flight sucks.

My fault /Grim Reapers fault. Bad springs not designed for 300 fps with the longer blades. I also grabbed wrong arrow it had been test shot in foam once.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Bow hunt simulator. Pretty neat app. Definitely a shot you can take if you’re familiar with deer anatomy. Most people will shoot behind the shoulder and hit one lung and liver. Still fatal but a much longer track job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What happens when you hit 1" to the right and hit the leg bone?

·
Corripe Cervisiam
21,226 Posts
I guess im having a hard time understanding why 168 is placing it behind the shoulder.
Shooting behind the shoulder when they are at that hard angle is a bad idea...its a gut shot.

I dunno why other guys are having problems...but I,ve seen a lot of animals shot with the frontal....not one lost...and they dont go far. its a bit counterintuitive, but a little higher is better on this frontal due to that opening in the skeltal structure.

Now to really get the broadside guys in a tizzy -grin,kidding- I like that collar shot at that angle for the same reason, say from a treestand. Running an arrow into that hole in the skeleton into the chest is money.

Ive shot deer, pigs and elk with that collar shot- 100% success and devastating.

Of course all rules of good shot selection still apply; body position, distance, body language- all critical factors.

FWIW, many times I wont take a dead broad side shot on a whitetail or axis deer if they made me and are ready to bolt...IME .its just asking for a bad shot.

Reactions: Prowler

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you hit bone leg/shoulder multiple things could happen. Thats where knowing the capabilities of what your equipment can do should come into play. If you dont have the confidence that you can make it through that area knowing that could happen dont shoot.

I think that where everyone is divided. I personally have full confidence in my shooting ability plus the ability of my equipment to work in 'well that was unexpected' part of bow hunting.

Everyone is different and so is what they shoot and their confidence. Theres no right answer expect whats right for you. Learning from each other what something we all should strive for.... thats just my thought process on the whole thing.

·
Registered
Prime Black 1, cheap 40# Recurve
577 Posts
Nothing wrong with a gut exit if your wiping out the vitals on the way
Likely that the stomach matter will plug the hole and have bad blood trail, especially if entrance is high like a tree stand shot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm waiting till he takes another step or two or 4 and flinging a 565 grain arrow right above his shoulder a little forward.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I did out of a stand, but he was on a hillside so he was eye level. Got all jammed up in his breast bone w little penetration. 4 blade fixed. Trailed him a long ways to no end.

An inch higher and he's dead. Take it, but stay up. Higher than you might think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you take this shot? 18 yards, quartering toward you. No wind, you are in a blind. He seems to be alert, or is he looking at the doe just to the left of your blind. Need to decide quick! Shoot or wait. If so where do you hold the pin. View attachment 7337430
I had almost this exact situation. I took the shot, hit him just behind shoulder and arrow poked out back side just in front of back leg, did not like the amount of blood so let him lay and I did recover him next morning within 100 yds from shot he had bedded twice

·
Registered
44 Posts
That little white spot behind the shoulder is my arrow blasting through him
Behind the shoulder? That's liver at best.
Nope. I'll pass and hope for a more ethical shot. I've had many a tag go unfilled over the years due to quartering to shots and yes IT SUCKS! But wounding a deer of that caliber and losing it the coyotes sucks even more!

141 - 160 of 194 Posts