Archery Talk Forum banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Would you take this shot? 18 yards, quartering toward you. No wind, you are in a blind. He seems to be alert, or is he looking at the doe just to the left of your blind. Need to decide quick! Shoot or wait. If so where do you hold the pin. View attachment 7337430
Well - we all shoot what we're comfortable with concerning hit-and-retrieval. I'll pass at this angle and wait for a better one a little later or pass completely.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Behind the shoulder? That's liver at best.
Nope. I'll pass and hope for a more ethical shot. I've had many a tag go unfilled over the years due to quartering to shots and yes IT SUCKS! But wounding a deer of that caliber and losing it the coyotes sucks even more!
Not if shot where I said. You'll have lung.Also ripping a lung the long way cause alot more trauma then nicking a lung broadside. Look at the pic I posted perfect execution dead in 30 yards.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can the shot be made and kill the deer? sure. But is it a smart shot to take? NO!!! This is how wounded deer happen.

Bow hunting is about high quality shots. NOT lets just get an arrow in a deer. And please, PLEASE don't tell me "if you have confidence in the shot, take it". I have seen many deer shot like from guys that had "confidence in that shot" during my years of outfitting and have recovered 1!!!! It is NOT a high percentage shot.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its not just having confidence but also knowing the limitations of you ability and your equipment.

I wouldnt take that shot if i was shooting a 400 grain arrow with a rage.

550 grains arrow with a sharp single bevel out of my 70 pound bow, not a problem at the range. Even with the possibility/likely hood the deer up string.

Pass 20 yards I cant say I would shoot.

But that me knowing the ability of myself and equipment and having confidence in it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
300 FPS chisel tip hybrids, I'm sticking it right in the pumphouse at the base of the neck. Wouldn't take much penetration to inflict highly lethal trauma.

A good hit and it's gonna turn the faucet on and he'll collapse in 40 yards.

·
Registered
328 Posts
300 FPS chisel tip hybrids, I'm sticking it right in the pumphouse at the base of the neck. Wouldn't take much penetration to inflict highly lethal trauma.

A good hit and it's gonna turn the faucet on and he'll collapse in 40 yards.
and 2" to the right you have heavy bone. 2" lower you have brisket.

IT"S A LOW PERCENTAGE SHOT!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Would you take this shot? 18 yards, quartering toward you. No wind, you are in a blind. He seems to be alert, or is he looking at the doe just to the left of your blind. Need to decide quick! Shoot or wait. If so where do you hold the pin. View attachment 7337430
I think it could be done, depending on, is the Broadhead two blade single piece, heavy, good steel, razor sharp? Is the arrow weight 620 grains out more? Is the bow weight x draw length equal or greater than 1450? If the answers to all the above are yes. You could? If any answers to the above are no, I would say no, don't shoot. Where to aim? Half way up the body on the shoulder. Will hopefully break the shoulder, get near lung and cut vessels above the heart. Perhaps get the far lung as well. But it's not the greatest presentation that's for sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
and 2" to the right you have heavy bone. 2" lower you have brisket.

IT"S A LOW PERCENTAGE SHOT!!
Not in the least. You stick that arrow even 12" through the brisket and send that guy packing to bounce that broadhead around in his juice tube and he's smoked.

I have a high level of confidence in surgically sharp hybrid tips and bow speed and know for a fact I could hit that deer anywhere between the scapula and it's going to be lethal.

Edit The most likely scenario, is it's most likely going to pass straight through and drain em out. Probably while he's wandering in circles trying to figure out what just happened.

·
Registered
328 Posts
40 years of bowhunting and I always thought bowhunting was getting close, patience, high percentage shots but I guess none of those pertain to today's Bow hunter. Its sad that it's all about just getting an arrow in a deer and hope.

For all of you that say "I have confidence in that shot and I have the right equipment for it" how many do you wound taking that shot? I know I won't get an honest answer but thought I would ask anyway.

I know after 40 years of bowhunting and shooting almost everyday as I have a 20 yard range in my basement and 60 yard range outside that I could make that shot BUT would NEVER take that shot because it is a low percentage shot. Too many bad things can happen with that shot and I have seen the bad over the years. And yes I have also seen dead deer with that shot but that doesnt mean it should be taken.

·
Registered
12 Posts
40 years of bowhunting and I always thought bowhunting was getting close, patience, high percentage shots but I guess none of those pertain to today's Bow hunter. Its sad that it's all about just getting an arrow in a deer and hope.

For all of you that say "I have confidence in that shot and I have the right equipment for it" how many do you wound taking that shot? I know I won't get an honest answer but thought I would ask anyway.

I know after 40 years of bowhunting and shooting almost everyday as I have a 20 yard range in my basement and 60 yard range outside that I could make that shot BUT would NEVER take that shot because it is a low percentage shot. Too many bad things can happen with that shot and I have seen the bad over the years. And yes I have also seen dead deer with that shot but that doesnt mean it should be taken.
It's already within 20 yards! Much longer and he'd smell the spilled doe estrous in the blind. Than I'd have even bigger problems.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts