Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to search the forums but the ones I found were older and I want to make sure nothing has changed. What all do I need to take my compound over the border? I'm only 23 so this is completely new to me. I've been asking around and I've got a bunch of mixed answers. Some people say it's just as annoying as taking a gun and some say its not a big deal. Thanks in advanced.

P.S I'm not hunting up there, I'm just practicing in between ripping some big pikes :)

·
strayarrow
2,410 Posts
A bow is not considered a weapon like a firearm is. I travel to Montana for a couple of shoots and have hunted there a few times. Never an issue. Just tell them you have it. Take a couple of pics and maybe keep the serial number in the event they ask you to declare it [just a piece of paper]. If you want to be absolutely sure for yourself, just call the border crossing where you will be crossing into Canada and ask them. I have traveled with friends for shoots and we have never had an issues. Us, and many friends that went to the Havre, Montana shoot each year. Here in Alberta there is the Coutts/Sweetgrass border crossing, Delbonita for starters. A bow is not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Contact customs. You will get the correct answers. Write down who you talked to and when. Or if it is emails print them out and bring them. I would contact the border crossing you plan on using. I have talked the customs at Fort Francis, Ontario a few times and there were quiet friendly and I got the CORRECT answers. Not that the people on here aren't good, but we are not the customs agents. If I was you I would check with the US side too. Remember you have to bring your bow back.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I've crossed the border back and for multiple times with my bow. I always tell them I have it and they never have even asked to see it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Great info! I was wondering the same thing when we traveled through Sweetgrass two weeks ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts