Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Saturday is my first time hunting with the recurve. I decided on taking out the super kodiak. I am good out to 15 yards. I am as I have said an old compound shooter and hard on myself when it comes to grouping arrows so I am sure of the shot at 15 or less. I am pumped:D Wish me luck. That turdy point buck don't have a chance:D The super kodiak is only a 50lb model and it is getting me strengthened up for a little more poundage latter on. I want to stay comfortable for accuracy. I am sure it will slide an arrow through a deer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In actual fact a 50 pound recurve will drive an arrow right through an elk at 15 yards and nail one on the other side if one isn't careful so I doubt you'll ever need anything heavier for deer.

Yes, I know Fred Bear favored a 65 pounder but he was just showing off.

Good luck!! :)

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I know that. I wish more guys also knew that. It would save a lot of compound shooters shoulders. I always got 60lb compounds even though I could easily shoot a 70. It just made no sense to shoot more weight. I like to be comfortable when I draw. There is too much bunk out there on how much energy it takes. I could never draw what Fred drew though. That is quite a lot of bow.

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh by the way thanks for the good luck. That is the key factor.
I need the luck of that deer being there for me to try it out.
I have my favorite candy store waiting. A patch of percimmon
trees that are droping fruit that I tried out and I know I like it.
I am sure the deer like them too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I kind of figure if you ask the deer nicely, you'll probably make some luck for yourself.

In the old days they used to smother them with corn pollen so no blood was drawn, bloodletting being a no no among relatives. I wonder how someone would explain the kinetic energy requirements relevant to that?

Again good luck, and don't eat too much bait or you might end up on somebody else's plate, especially someone inclined to shoot at sounds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I switched to the recurve a year ago because at the moment of truth I shot my compound insinctively anyway which was a disaster. I am much more confident with my trad equipment and squrrels now fear me! Plus, it's fun again!

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well she was there but on the wrong side and with too much cover. I would have taken the doe but I am left handed and she was really right of me which would have required a lot of movement and had too much little cover for a clean shot. Close though. Close enough for an opening weekend hunt. Their days are numbered. Think I will go out and fling a few arrows. I like to shoot as much as I like to hunt.:D

·
Enhanced Mutant
6,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No shots on deer this weekend but the season is young. I am sure I will be posting a photo of me my recurve and a deer this year. Shot foam when I wasn't out sitting in a stand.:D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nothing wrong with shooting foam. . . of course it is a bit chewy but if you bake it and cover it with some really good hot salsa it'll actually taste OK - sort of like one of those frozen pizza's you buy at the supermarket when you're too tired to eat right. Foam is also good roughage... :cool:

·
Registered
417 Posts
You're probably right about the foam, however, when I have the women roast it, it shrinks radically. Probably the fat content no doubt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts