Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a kodiak at a garage sale,but the guy before me painted it what would be the best way to get the paint off,then what would be the best finish to clear coat it with,great bow shoots great,love to see the natural wood underneath,any ideas????? thanks to all who reply.murkman

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had a Kodiak Magnum that the same thing was done to it. I used 90% alcohol that you can buy at walmart, and some paper towells and rags and the paint came right off without harming the clear coat one bit. When I get home I'll post some pics of it after I cleaned off all of the paint. I forgot to take before pics when I was cleaning it. I guess I was excited to see what was underneath all of that black paint.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks alot,I'm gonna try that out when I get home,curious to see what beauty is underneath all that ugly paint,will this also work on the bear medallion without harming it?thank you murkman

·
Registered
284 Posts
Make sure you use the 90% Alcohol (The red label stuff from walmart) And it will work just fine for the medallion, you may have to use an old toothbrush to work the paint loose from the cracks and crevases.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Also the refinish

After you get the paint off you might consider a "light" re finish. Use about a
3M 413Q 600 wet sand paper to finish off any blem's. Go to an auto refinish products store abd get a bottle of Malco Flash Liquid Paste Wax with Carnauba Wax and DuPont Zonyl. This wax is actually a glastic wax and a couple coats will leave your bow looking like a # 1 grade gun stock.
Bill W.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've got a bear "grizzly" that had camo paint on it from the 70's I used the paint remover "opps" it worked like a charm the bow looked brand new when i was done- hope this helps, Kevin

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the 90% alachol,didnt work,now I think this is a factory job,the paint is pulled off where they had a stick on arrow holder,might have to try paint remover,then just refinish the bow.any other ideas,dont really wanna try paint remover?????

·
Registered
450 Posts
try a little laquer thinner or acetone and see what happens. Also, there may have been a sealer coat sprayed over the paint job, and that could be why the alcohol isn't doing anything.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after looking at it closer it is a factory camo finish,thinking about just touching up the spots where the camo is comming off and leaving it at that.murkman

1 - 10 of 10 Posts