• 40plus yards

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I have shot at deer over 50yrds

Votes: 7 8.8%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is your distance you will shoot! Deer with a bow!

42yrds has been the farthest I have shot a deer. I underestimated him and thought he was 37yrds. I did recover him, thanks to faster bows today.

I usally shoot 20-30yrds is my best shot. I shoot one pin set at 25yrds and can move it if neccessary for deer that I have placed rangefinder on.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I added a pin and have been shooting out to 50 for my upcoming elk trip, and am confident at that range, but I would only take a deer at that distance if it was a good standing broadside.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Although I practice out to 50 yards regulary,I generally don't shoot more than 30 at deer.
The majority of my bow kills have been within 15 yards of my tree.
I hunt in heavy cover,so I don't get much of an oppurtunity to go out that far.:)

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
How far ?

I have shot deer out to 35 yrs. But I try to keep my shots under 30. The deer I have killed @ 35 were shot before I bought my first range finder. Now it's 30 & in.

·
Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,257 Posts
I like them about 15-17 yards with no idea that I am there. My farthest shot at an uninjured deer was 35 yards. Don't like shooting that far. I shot at a 55 yard deer that had already been hit just seconds before and I figured two arrow holes would be better than one when he stoped at 55 yards. I was correct. He was dead 58 yards from my tree after that shot. With a rangefinder and perfect conditions, I might shoot a little farther but sure don't want to.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
On deer I will shoot out to 50. I hunt on the ground and if the deer is broadside and stopped with no wind I will shoot. That is my max, under ideal conditions. On Elk, 40 MAX with perfect conditions. Pass throughs and Good shot placement are criticall on the big boys if your going to locate them.:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
30 yds although most of my shots have been under 20 yds...I owe it to the animal to be sure and take only good shots.....I want to kill him not wound him....I wounded 1 deer and 2 hogs and didn't like it at all.....it really bothered me...if I wanted just to wound a deer...I'd buy a semi-automatic rifle and shoot at running deer all day long but that is not my objective...a range finder has proved to be a valuble tool for me!!!

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TTT

TTT

·
Registered
371 Posts
I practice out to 40 but where I hunt, you usually won't see a shot that far.

Most all of my shots have been around 18 yards............

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I havnt yet but I will take a shot out to 50. When you shoot FITA 50 is the short end. I practice a lot at the distance so I would have no problem with it.

My pins are set at 20, 30, 40, 50.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts