Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt at very close ranges 25 yards or less. I practice and shoot some 3D just for fun. Is there a good one for $100 or less?

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Trophy Ridge Drive isn't half bad, from what I have heard. I used to have an HHA OL 5510, (that or it was a 5519, not sure, but the only difference between the two is pin size), and that was pretty decent. I sold that sight with my REEZEN and now am using an old 3-pin frame with 2 extra pins in it for long distances when target shooting, and my top pin was sighted in for 10 yards, however, it is dead on at 5, 20, and 25, so you might be good sticking with a 3 or 5 pin. One thing that was nice about the HHA was that I could shoot 10 yards and then 70, without moving the sight window. So, you might want one, or you might not. It could go either way. Haha. Sorry for being confusing.

·
Custom callmaker
3,473 Posts
look at this one. (AR series) http://www.prohuntersights.com/adjustable-base-sights.html

I have 1 of these and its built tough and moves real nice, and bright with no light needed. Do take note that they do not melt the fiber tip so when you get a .019 it truly is that and you may find that to small, they have come out with a .029 and I think this is the size you will want. And this company has a great price point you will like-they don't spend the big $ on marketing so your paying for actual product :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
trophy ridge react one is around 100-120 and it would be a very good sight... its pretty much a no brainer if your doing 3d there is no reason not to go with one

·
Registered
435 Posts
Not in your price range but MBG makes a very nice durable sight.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I have had one in the past. If you set it at a certain distance and leave it great.

If you want to move it for hunting no good. My experience. Messing with the moving pin was not for me. I had always hunted with a 25 and 40 and compensate the in between.

But try it. If you set it at 20 or 25 and leave it alone, shoot at close range for hunting it maybe right for you. What happened with me I started to set 30 35 40 etc..(which I swore I would never do) trying to adjust that thing was ridiculous in a tree stand in the woods. I have even watched a few TV shows with Spook and Will Primos who forgot to move the pin back and missed because the pin was in wrong yardage.

I have a friend that hunts with only a one pin moveable. Loves it.
Buy one experiment. Good luck

·
Registered
688 Posts
HHA in my opinon is the best single pin slider out there. You can get the HHA-5519 for around $100. Durable, tough as nails, and some of the best customer service in the buisness! I used to be a diehard multi-pin sight user with no intent to switch to a single pin... until I tried one. It opens up your sight window tremendously, no more pin clutter. I'll never go back.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I switched to one at the beginning of last year, a HHA single pin slider. I was shooting better then ever with it in 3D and in the yard. Now comes opening day of doe season. I see 3 does working like 60 yards below me at a angle up hill. I ranged a quad path at 38 yards, well waiting for her to come into that opening another doe magically appears 15 yards to my right. I draw back forgetting I slide the pin to 40 and shoot and completely missed her. At first I was confused as to what happened then I remembered. I used it a couple more hunts and wasnt 100% confident with it after that so I switched to my back up sight a G5 Rock sight and Im glad i went back to a multi-pin sight. That hha is now on my wifes bow so she can practice as she just got into archery last year. Now that being said HHA came out with a 3 pin slider that my buddy got and he loves it. Best of both worlds he said. Im gonna pick one of those up when the bank is right LOL. Just my two cents. Dave

P.S. if your interested in the HHA let me know LOL.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
ive used a prohunter for probably twenty years. no complaints. I like the simplicity. I never move the sight in the woods, as the setting is good to twenty five yards. For field edges, I think I have moved the sight maybe two or three times.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
in my opinion the hha single is by far the best single slider out there,built like a tank ,no problem when hunting in sub teens near zero degrees,there there pin brightness is out of the world,i actually had to double up a black rubber band around the fiber optics to dim the pin down

·
Registered
243 Posts
No pin clutter, that's the reason I use one. For the OP that only shoots out to 25 yards set it at 20 and forget it. I leave mine set on 20 and haven't had to move it all season while hunting and I've shot 6 deer. Did I mention there is no pin clutter!

·
Registered
231 Posts
For treestand hunting there is no better site than a single pin. I use and HHA 5519. I use a fixed pin site when I go out west and elk hunt.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leaning toward the PSE Slider II. I have a slight case op TP with spots only thank goodness and hoping a one pin will help that and clear my target picture.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Might look on ebay or classifieds for a cheap one. Use it if you like it. You may want to get a micro adjust one for yardage. JMO.

Good luck

·
Sultan of Smack
5,728 Posts
My fear is at the moment of truth, my pin won't be where I need it. I'm leaning towards a three pin slider. That said, I think HHA has the best single pin slider on the market.

SCFox

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
i see where some forget to reset the pin that's human error.
i use the HHA slider and keep it @20yrds. but ask yourself this question...how many use the wrong pin ,in the moment of truth?
some will line up their 50 pin on a 20 yrd. target...
i shoot a 280 fps bow and that 20 yrd. setting ,easly gets to 30 yrds. out of the stand.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
Why would you want something you have to move if the critter doesn't stop at the right distance? My fixed pin is on at all yardages, and it leaves me more time to use the range finder.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
if you are only shooting 25 yards and under i would just buy a nice fixed single pin, dial it in at 25 and shoot low for anything under

1 - 20 of 55 Posts