Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Shoot targets when I can find the time

Votes: 2 1.3%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of the 5400+ members here on Archery Talk, how many of you hunt and how many of your are target shooters only, weather it be 3d, spots, etcetera?

·
74,535 Posts
Get older

Im getting where I enjoy shooting tournaments as much as hunting. Indoor this year may cut into my hunting some.

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
I used to hunt alot until my wife opened an archery shop:rolleyes: Now our busy season is when every one else is hunting-hard to tell a customer that I can't get to his bow or make him a new string because I want to hunt that morning

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Target shooter here. I used to hunt years ago, but after stepping back into archery, all I care about is shooting- a lot.

When my buddies are gearing up for deer season, I'm gearing up for indoor season.

Just dont have any desire to hunt anymore.

Sean

·
Registered
408 Posts
I shoot 3D all year round (indoors and out) in preparation for hunting season. You can never practice too much for that "one shot".

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's kind of ironic; bowhunting is what got me into shooting, and I still enjoy hunting, but if givien the choice between a hunt or a 3D, I'd take the 3D probably.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I used to hunt all the time, then I got into shooting targets. I love shooting the bow. I've back off from hunting due to the new hunting restrictions in my state. Every year it's getting harder and harder to enjoy the sport of hunting with a bow.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Shooter Mike

It's kind of ironic; bowhunting is what got me into shooting, and I still enjoy hunting, but if givien the choice between a hunt or a 3D, I'd take the 3D probably.
I'm in the exact same situation as you. When I joined a club to get access to a place to shoot and heard people mentioning the words "tournaments" and "competition", it had no appeal to me. Then I got hooked real fast shortly after.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i do both and at this very point hunting is my favorite. i started shooting 3d to make me a better shot as far as judging distance etc. i can't wait till hunting season gets here but i'm surely gonna miss going to tourneys on the weekend. one thing is for sure, if you think hunting is expensive don't even think about getting into target archery!!:D

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I have 3 mckenzies so I shoot alot of 3-d at home to prepare for hunting season.I also built an 18 ft high treestand to practice from in my backyard.And my wife loves it ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Got into archery because I wanted a longer hunting season. In Oklahoma, bow season is practically 3 months!!! Anyhow now I find myself hook more and more on target shooting unstead.

G

·
BOTH...

...but like SHOOTER MIKE and MAGUA...once 3D Tournaments and the "competition" came along...combined with making for some great family time!!...kinda hard to kill that bug:) ...

...SHOOTER MIKE...this is a GREAT POLL...even if REGA didn't do it!!:D ...

·
Registered
20,621 Posts
I`ve had competition fever for more years than I can remember. And it is not letting up any.

But when it gets close to archery season, I forget what foam and spots look like, until the last day of the last season!:D

·
I shoot Hoyts too !
2,878 Posts
One thing good about spots and 3D targets is after you shoot them, you dont have to skin them!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I was an advid rifle hunter, trophy Mule deer. Some place in gettig older I just came to a point where I no longer wanted to kill anything. I am not anti-hunting or anything like that. I still get to thinking about hunting and fall still causes me to think about all the great hunts I had, but then I come back to earth and finally think that I understand my reasons for quiting. RCJ

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I love target shooting cant get enough.

I have had a hard time getting out to bow hunt the past two years. No sunday hunting in Central NC.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts