Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I generally shoot spots. In the winter it is 3 spot at 20 yards. I always sight in my bow on a single spot to ensure i'm on target. When I begin to shoot the 3 spot targets
my arrows seem to go different ways on each of the spots. Examp. target 1 gold or left/right -target 2 gold or right- target 3 gold or right. I know how to correct these errors when shooting a single spot, but what do I do when each spot has a different pattern?

Any help would be appreciated.

on another note does anyone know a coach in the Pittsburgh Pa area that can teach older archers?

Thanks,

Skybill 20

·
Hunter of many things
12,155 Posts
Sounds like it just a mental block you are having by seeing all 3 at once. You need to just focus on the one you are aiming at.

I have that issue with 5 spot. The outside 4 are always harder, but I know it just me.

·
Socket Man
24,280 Posts
Even when you reach a pretty high level this happens, especially when you are using a sight pin instead of big dot to aim with. Your first few shots make the hole and then your sight pin starts gravitating over there and the hole gets bigger and bigger right there. Now when you are a entry level shooter it is more of a shot gun blast over there instead of a quarter sized hole from a higher level shooter.

This winter I am only training and not competing so I just left my .19 green 3d sight pin in my scope instead of a black dot and I have been seeing slightly different holes on my vegas targets all winter, they are nice holes and they are inside the 10 ring but always slightly different.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I generally shoot spots. In the winter it is 3 spot at 20 yards. I always sight in my bow on a single spot to ensure i'm on target. When I begin to shoot the 3 spot targets
my arrows seem to go different ways on each of the spots. Examp. target 1 gold or left/right -target 2 gold or right- target 3 gold or right. I know how to correct these errors when shooting a single spot, but what do I do when each spot has a different pattern?

Any help would be appreciated.

on another note does anyone know a coach in the Pittsburgh Pa area that can teach older archers?

Thanks,

Skybill 20
That's simply a float issue and release execution. Assuming bow fit is proper, it just takes practice to execute release and learn your float and timing.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It was not stated but ill ask,

I always go to basic first.
Check you grip as well, wrist relaxed and angle . Slight changes will move arrows.
Is the bow level each shot.

If all that is good
try your targets in a vertical line, or in triangle, sounds dumb but the aspect changed helped me get my son past same mental issues.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It was not stated but ill ask,

I always go to basic first.
Check you grip as well, wrist relaxed and angle . Slight changes will move arrows.
Is the bow level each shot.

If all that is good
try your targets in a vertical line, or in triangle, sounds dumb but the aspect changed helped me get my son past same mental issues.
It is amazing sometimes how spot shooting does. Some days can't miss the 10 ring and high x count and then a few days later it might be the number 3 spot or number 2 spot but can't hit the x on that certain target regardless of what you do. I think for me if my first shot is off my mind wants to aim at that hole. It sees a black spot and must want to just shoot there lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
target archery 3 spot help

It is amazing sometimes how spot shooting does. Some days can't miss the 10 ring and high x count and then a few days later it might be the number 3 spot or number 2 spot but can't hit the x on that certain target regardless of what you do. I think for me if my first shot is off my mind wants to aim at that hole. It sees a black spot and must want to just shoot there lol.
Thanks for all the posts. I will make sure to put some of these suggestions into practice and see what happens.

Again, thanks to all

skybill20

1 - 7 of 7 Posts