Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
So I'm going to be getting some Gold Tip Triple X pro target arrows soon which I will be using for indoor target archery at 20yds and I have absolutely no idea what I should go with for vanes on these things. There just seems to be SOOOO many variations in the vanes that are available so any help or advice is highly appreciated. If there tends to be a really common one that most archers tend to use then that's also something I would love to know.
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll offer my two cents although I'm no expert. I've found either 3-4" vanes or feathers to be my go to and a lot of other's as well. Currently I'm running Fusion X 3" vanes. Really like the helical I can get with them and their low profile allows for good clearance.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Indoor at 20 yards, I typically go with 4 inch, shield cut feathers all day long. Really what you're striving for at that distance is fletching that will stabilize the arrow in flight as fast as possible. The only con I've found with feathers over the years is you have to watch your vane clearance. I've had some bows where I've had poor vane clearance after tuning and had to go to a low profile vane to avoid contact with my cables (my past PSE moneymaker comes to mind).

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
4" feathers

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
2X^ also.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
4" parabolic Gateway feathers

·
Back Yard Champion
27,716 Posts
More of personal preference thing. Bow tuned you can shoot Xs with a bare shaft. Bow tuned well then only thing left is spin. Spin adds stability which aids accuracy, repeatability and all that good stuff. So offset as steep as possible, usually 3 degrees at best, or helical.

Picture of bare shaft arrows are that of ontarget7, here on AT. Me doing my play thing stuff. Removed vane off on propose, 20 yards, and have shot Xs numerous times. Reversed vanes that I've shot 20 and 30 yards and dead in the X.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Indoors you don't have wind to deal with. I started out using 4" feathers many years ago. Then I went to a 3" low profile vane, Then to a 2" Blazer vane. I currently shoot 2" Blazers indoors and out and other than speed can tell no difference from the others I listed in performance indoors. Outdoors I can see a lot of difference especially in wind drift. A lot of olympic archers use a 2 or 2.5" curled mylar vane. I don't see many people shooting feathers anymore except the traditional guys. There are a few but I don't see where it's necessary. A 2" Blazer will stabilize an arrow as good as a 4"feather with less drag. Most target archers now shoot a small vane as well as most hunters. I'm not a Levi fanboy although I do like him, He talks about using a small vane for indoor and out and why he uses it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZumtUeYxM

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put 4inch Gateway Feathers on my Triple X Pros and they are flying great. I did them in a 4 fletch pattern with a slight helix

·
BIG FRANK....
8,280 Posts
How about 3_D do you use helical or Offset.

·
Back Yard Champion
27,716 Posts
I use helical for all target events. I use AAE 3.87" vanes and Bohning 4" Killer vanes fletched offset for hunting

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Bitzenburger Straight offset. Every arrow is fletched in the same jig.

Bitzenburger_Straight_Fletching_Jig_med.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the responses everyone! I now realize that I forgot to mention (but I feel it's sorta implied for indoor) that I'm going to be shooting these off of a blade rest. Oh and the bow I'm shooting is a 60lb max (I'm still dialing in my draw weight) TRX 8 with a 28.5" draw length so I dont think I'll have too much trouble with the slight extra weight of a plastic vane over a feather... but idk if there are other advantages to feathers besides weight savings... I just have always stayed away because they seem to get ripped up easily. Also I see a fair number of people shooting AAE Max Stealth vanes and I was wondering if anyone has any input on those or any of the other AAE vanes because I know they are fairly popular but like I said earlier, idk much about which vanes are good to go with.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone! I now realize that I forgot to mention (but I feel it's sorta implied for indoor) that I'm going to be shooting these off of a blade rest. Oh and the bow I'm shooting is a 60lb max (I'm still dialing in my draw weight) TRX 8 with a 28.5" draw length so I dont think I'll have too much trouble with the slight extra weight of a plastic vane over a feather... but idk if there are other advantages to feathers besides weight savings... I just have always stayed away because they seem to get ripped up easily. Also I see a fair number of people shooting AAE Max Stealth vanes and I was wondering if anyone has any input on those or any of the other AAE vanes because I know they are fairly popular but like I said earlier, idk much about which vanes are good to go with.
I’m shooting the max stealth on my triple xs now 3 degree left helical. They work as well as anything I’ve tried. I use to be a feather guy but got sick of refletching once a year for $3 an arrow. I will echo to use more fletching indoors but I also have my bareshafts all hitting x ring too so the fletching is really for forgiveness and I think any vane of any substance would work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts