Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you lens shooters experienced this? Happens quite a bit to me. I'm shooting a 4x lens. When I draw, anchor in, and start aiming, I can see my target face/X pretty clear. After a couple seconds of aiming and waiting for my hinge to fire, my eyes/the target face blur out on me. Sometimes to the point where I can't even tell if I'm looking at the 5 or 4 ring. If I let down and draw again, it is clear, for first few seconds anyways. I'm just not sure why everything is clear for a few seconds, then becomes blurry and if there is anything that will help it stay clear the whole time. Thanks

·
Registered
565 Posts
This happens to me, seems like when I switch focus from my dot purely over to the X it blurs out a bit, clear as ever when I draw and start to settle into the shot. I can still see the rings so I roll with it and it works. Might try a slightly smaller peep aperture?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
You're probably over-aiming. I know that's not intuitive, but if you're doing the "focus like a laser beam" thing, that brings fatigue, watering and losing focus to the eye in an amazingly short time. On the somewhat rare occasions I shoot with a scope, that's usually the cause when my eye glazes over or goes out of focus.

What I do is focus on the target, but not the laser-beam thing where I utterly try to keep my eye on the holes in the gold or anything like that. I just look at it in as relaxed a way as I can and ignore the pin (subconscious aim, in other words)....

lee.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This makes sense. I switched to a ring instead of a pin, so I'm focusing pretty intensely on the X or holes in the paper. That is when I noticed it, I'm literally trying to burn a hole in the paper with my eyes/focus. Maybe I'll try to more relaxed aim, somehow.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
It happens to me because I am using glasses. I have to be careful not to move my head while aiming.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
It happens to me because I am using glasses. I have to be careful not to move my head while aiming.
I wear glasses as well. Same happens to me. Maybe it's my glasses...or astigmatism? But I feel very much as "lees" speaks of. Not sure I'm over aiming persay... but my target or pin will fade in/out. I can focus on either and I can make either clear up. When Im shooting well that sharpness or crispness of either is gone and that fade in out goes away. And things are fairly crisp. It's as if it's a part of my process. Anchor....clear target/fuzzy pin. Clear pin/fuzzy target. Both 90% clear...pull through it.

It's worked out for me ok.

Been a real challenge finding verifier/clarifier or lack of that gives me clarity with glasses. I dont have any issue these days with just my 3x lens/ring...indoor set up. But when I go with a pin is when I deal with the above. And no amount of swapping different peeps/lenses/verifier will make it any better.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had the same problem. I fixed it by lengthening my draw length. I believe I was pulling my head out of the peep as I increased pressure on my release. So with longer draw length I have better head position and no longer an issue.

·
Registered
8,433 Posts
When you hold your breath, one of the first things to be effected by it is vision. Practice drawing and holding. Try to build up to 8 - 10 seconds. Let down as soon as your vision blurs or you feel like you can't execute a good shot.

Don't try to rush your shot to get it off before your vision blurs. That is a sure path to target panic.

Allen

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had the same problem until I put in a clarifier in ! A clarifier is to be shot with a lens not a varifier and you only need a #1 or #2 and I also wear glasses !

·
Registered
44 Posts
This also happens to me occasionally. I've never heard about breath affecting vision but it sure is something I could try. I also heard about using a clarifier just like redlab said. Will try these out and see if any helps.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Assuming from your thread that your not young anymore, correct me if I'm wrong though. That said I along with everyone else that's older like me the old eyes just don't like to focus on things that
are 2 diff. distances No easy answers to this either you gotta keep trying diff. things to find what works best for you. I'm not a target shooter, just a hunter but for hunting I solved my problem with my EZV
sight, no pins to deal with only have to focus on the target. It works pretty well for shooting at a bulls eye target but works best for me on a 3D type of target.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been dealing with a similar thing...4x lens, Hamskea A clarifier. Target is clear and then after a couple seconds (sometimes up to 8-10, but usually around 3-4) the entire thing becomes blurry...target, dot, etc. I'm 99% it's not a breathing issue. It actually seems to be worse if I use a larger dot if that would matter or not I'm not sure. I do wear contacts and I'm very nearsighted. I've wondered if my left eye is trying to take over, astigmatism causing it? Have yet to figure anything out. Sure is frustrating and I feel it's causing a little target panic because I quit pulling when it goes blurry in order to blink and reset.

Things I have yet to try...different clarifier, eye blocker. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
As you get older, the muscles in your eye that control the focal length of the lens can become weaker to the point that they are unable to hold focus. Eventually this can lead to the lens in your eye becoming a fixed focal length.
This is the situation I have in my left eye and an increasing issue in my right, dominant eye. This leads to having to wear distance, reading and middle distance glasses. Getting old is a pain in the arse!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts