Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you target shooters, what is the best balance of the bow when held open hand straight out in front of you befor you shoot.Strait up and down,leaning forward or back? I know stab length and weight has a lot to do with it. Just would like to know how you people prefer this. Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
tag'em;

It's mostly a question of personal preference. Some like a bow to just sit balanced in their hand on release (no forward movement), some like the bow to tip forward (top limb falling down), I don't think I have ever met anyone who prefers the bow to fall back (top limb coming back towards the archer).

Play with a few stab different setups for a few weeks and see what you like.

-CG

·
Registered
972 Posts
I like my bow to roll forward after the shot, it has become part of my follow through. I guess it is just personal preference though

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
roll tide

Very slow roll forward works for me. Looking down the pro line at Vegas reveals that the slow forward roll works for most of them too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Slow roll? Most of the shooters I watch have an explosion on the release of the arrow that makes the bow go towards the target, then away and down. Clean break.
Toddbow

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
I think Oxford is right and you don't want the bow to shoot downward by having too much front weight. Todd, I don't know if that is balance or just the result of proper back tension. I know on recurve you don' see the bows violently moving in a counterclockwise fashion-which will happen if its too front heavy-rather more of a roll

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
LOL great shot!!

He does that to annoy the national coach. :p

I like to be able to hold my bow up without drawing it and have it sit on the 10 without tipping. If it tilts when it's not drawn I find I'm fighting it at full draw. If you get a correct suprize release it will tip, however most people stack the weight out the front to fake the correct follow through.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
that looks painfull!
does he do that follow thru on each shot ?
and im gonna have to ask why ?the arrow is long gone, ive herd of keeping your form and you bow arm up after the shot but that seems a lil over done.
Ken

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts
CG-LOL-then again, look at the hair too:)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Looks like the bottom limb is about to cause some severe pain-maybe that's why the hairs getting out of the way. Thing is he can probably outshoot me.:(

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Yeah I've got a shiny $1 coin that says he can outshoot just about anyone here.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess everyone sees things a little differently.
Nice pic. It does, however look like during this split second in time his bowarm did go out, otherwise it looks like he might have shot the 70 sign. And I'm willing to bet a few milliseconds earlier in time the bow arm went straight towards the target and a few milliseconds later it will probably go down, depending on how long he has taught himself to keep the bowarm up.
My point was that if the bowarm doesn't move on shot and only the bow rolls the shot was probably done on command and it wasn't a surprise.
Toddbow

·
Archery Coach
23,327 Posts

no lie on that one-unless Butch starts posting. I don't think Butch has shot a 1368 but I believe he took Barnes out at that Grand Prix he won. It will be interesting to see if he can keep it together in NYC this week

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
You guys made me curious, so I tried a back-of-the-envelope calculation. I took a 40# bow, 28" AMO draw length, 300gr arrow, etc., and worked out the numbers (hopefully correctly), and determined that:

1. the arrow spends 11ms on the string
2. the arrow crosses the brace in 3ms

So, it is "gone" in about 14ms.

If you let an object fall for 14ms, it will barely reach 1mm of displacement, so it seems to me that stabilizer "roll" will not impact anything whatsoever, as the arrow will be gone before anything moves a significant distance.

As for David Barnes, does anybody have video of him shooting? I'd love to see that follow-thru, it seems to be quite excessive, and nothing satisfies like excess.

Am I correct in seeing that he flips the bow 270 degrees? :)

kgk

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Marcus said:
In recurve, or with compound bows, too?

I note that no great recurve shooters go to Vegas to spank the freestyle spot shooters with their own training wheels, and I suspect that this is because they cannot do so.

I've really got to see some video of this guy shooting, it must be awesome....

kgk

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Wow, really looks like a crap shot huh? His bow arm clearly has moved slightly down and right, his release is perfect, yet his bow has turned in his sling, must be a crap shot huh! :rolleyes:
Daves score at the AA Nationals

90m 70m 50m 30m
1 David Barnes SA Australia 308 341 339 347 1335
304 340 335 352 1331

Not his best either. Yep recurve or compound I'ld back him over 99% of the shooters on this board. Would love to see him with a compound.

Why don't the best recurvers shoot Vegas? I doubt they care. Why shoot 18m when there is Olympic gold to work for?

Another to watch is the 2002 Cadet World champ Tim Cuddihy also from Australia, he beat Barnes in eth finals 114-113. Top shot also.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Marcus said:
Wow, really looks like a crap shot huh? His bow arm clearly has moved slightly down and right, his release is perfect, yet his bow has turned in his sling, must be a crap shot huh! :rolleyes:
This could be the future of recurve archery, and perhaps in 10 years all of the Koreans will be shooting like this.

Is your national coach Korean? If so, this "new style" must be driving him crazy---but nobody can argue about winning! Ah, the coach must be tormented in this regard!

kgk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts