Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a new case within a few days. I travel within state for state shoots and shoot a lot locally. No air travel. Maybe an overnight or 2 in a hotel. I'm looking for nice organization for accessories and extras I may carry encase of minor equipment failure.

Looking for some pros and cons between these 2 style cases. I have the choices narrowed down to the Legend Everest 44 semi hard duffle roller case and the SKB 4719-PL double bow case with the lower organizer compartment.

Here are my concerns about both cases. I know the SKB is a tank, it will withstand anything I throw at it. But it's bulky and heavy. But it is waterproof encase it rides through the rain in the bed of a truck.

The Legend Everest is lighter but I'm worried about the mesh storage compartments and their durability. I don't want to spend 250+ on a case only have it a few years before it's falling apart.

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
Look at the new Elevation case....it is 2 cases in one and has tons of room for storage. Best case out there at the moment, and I have auroras and legend cases - they do not compare.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the new Elevation case....it is 2 cases in one and has tons of room for storage. Best case out there at the moment, and I have auroras and legend cases - they do not compare.
How is the quality of the zippers and pockets. I'm rough on pockets if they are not made it strong material.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
I have the Everest 44.

What I like about it is that it is huge, with enough room for me to fit two bows, my aiming tactile which is a few pieces of 30" 2x4s, a camera tripod, and an indoor/outdoor carpet runner [aprox 24" wide and about 6' long], plus all the regular archery stuff. Pockets are spacious, and I haven't had any fail, but then I don't put a lot of stuff in the inside mesh pockets. Handles and zippers are pretty heavy duty with no failures, and I like the rollers for dragging it around.

What I didn't like is how the bows are secured inside. There are six Velcro straps that stick to the felt-ish lining inside, but they don't stick very well. The case if I remember right is advertised to hold two bows, but I can't figure out how to secure the second, or put it inside without stacking it directly on the first. There is a protective "flap" and some have said to put that between the bows, but then how do you secure the second... I ended up pulling a foam pad out of another case that allowed me to pass velcro straps through it to secure the two bows together with the pad between them. I also didn't care for the quality of the clasps on the backpack straps. I admit I carry a lot of weight, and I was in the habit of just using one shoulder strap, but the clasps on both straps have bent [stretched] out of shape and now don't clasp closed. Just not durable enough for how I used them.

There have been some recent negative threads about Legend customer service, but I ordered mine through Lancaster and had no issues with delivery time. Overall not bad, but if I were to do it again I might go with something else.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Everest 44.

What I like about it is that it is huge, with enough room for me to fit two bows, my aiming tactile which is a few pieces of 30" 2x4s, a camera tripod, and an indoor/outdoor carpet runner [aprox 24" wide and about 6' long], plus all the regular archery stuff. Pockets are spacious, and I haven't had any fail, but then I don't put a lot of stuff in the inside mesh pockets. Handles and zippers are pretty heavy duty with no failures, and I like the rollers for dragging it around.

What I didn't like is how the bows are secured inside. There are six Velcro straps that stick to the felt-ish lining inside, but they don't stick very well. The case if I remember right is advertised to hold two bows, but I can't figure out how to secure the second, or put it inside without stacking it directly on the first. There is a protective "flap" and some have said to put that between the bows, but then how do you secure the second... I ended up pulling a foam pad out of another case that allowed me to pass velcro straps through it to secure the two bows together with the pad between them. I also didn't care for the quality of the clasps on the backpack straps. I admit I carry a lot of weight, and I was in the habit of just using one shoulder strap, but the clasps on both straps have bent [stretched] out of shape and now don't clasp closed. Just not durable enough for how I used them.

There have been some recent negative threads about Legend customer service, but I ordered mine through Lancaster and had no issues with delivery time. Overall not bad, but if I were to do it again I might go with something else.
Are these semihard cases waterproof?

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Are these semihard cases waterproof?

I would say no. Don't remember it being advertised as such, and the zippers don't feel weatherproof. The material might be water resistant, but I wouldn't count on it when it counts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would also give a second on the Everest 44! Lots of room for EVERYTHING! It even comes with a Arrow Storage Tube and Cam Covers as well. Probably packing clothes and equipment (minus sight) in it for Vegas next month. It is not waterproof but you can get a waterproof airline cover for it. The Everest 44 does not come with Backpack straps like the Everest 40, FYI.

Everest 44
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legend-everest-44-trolley-bow-case.html

Cover
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legend-everest-44-airline-cover.html

Lancaster had it on sale back in November for I think it was under $200.00.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why do you all lean toward the soft cases.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why do you all lean toward the soft cases.
I went with the Everest 44 because of the size of my Perform X. It's 40" ATA but Cam to Cam is 45.5". I was not able to find a case that had storage and was fairly light for the size. Pelican Style cases are heavy without any storage for Arrows, Stabs, Tools, Etc.....

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
I would also give a second on the Everest 44! Lots of room for EVERYTHING! It even comes with a Arrow Storage Tube and Cam Covers as well. Probably packing clothes and equipment (minus sight) in it for Vegas next month. It is not waterproof but you can get a waterproof airline cover for it. The Everest 44 does not come with Backpack straps like the Everest 40, FYI.

Everest 44
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legend-everest-44-trolley-bow-case.html

Cover
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legend-everest-44-airline-cover.html

Lancaster had it on sale back in November for I think it was under $200.00.

Now I'm going to have to go home and measure my Everest... Could have sworn it was the 44, and definitely has backpack straps tucked into the back panel.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I also have the Everest 44 and I like it a lot. Can carry all my stuff. The top bow isn't really strapped down, but sandwiched between the divider panel and the top half of the bag. No backpack straps on my Everest 44 either and definitely not waterproof.

It's convenient and very functional. I have the Plano basic hardcase for a hunting bow but there's not really any storage inside the thing other than for the bow and it's bulky and awkward. It feels like carrying a sheet of plywood around with you.

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
Okay Folks, my case definitely has "legend Archery" and "Everest 44" on the front and in a zippered pocket on the back is housed backpack shoulder straps... Pull 'em out and hook the clips to metal loops about 4" below the long plastic runners.

Perhaps a design change recently or something, I've had mine for a while now, maybe a couple years.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'd bet you are correct on the design change for different years. Mine was purchased last spring. I use the shoulder strap (single) for carrying and appreciate the multitude of handles on almost all sides of the case for loading/unloading. The wheels are extremely handy as well.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
I like the hard cases (Pelican and SKB), just because I know that if the plane crashes or I total my truck I can still shoot my bow.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Okay Folks, my case definitely has "legend Archery" and "Everest 44" on the front and in a zippered pocket on the back is housed backpack shoulder straps... Pull 'em out and hook the clips to metal loops about 4" below the long plastic runners.

Perhaps a design change recently or something, I've had mine for a while now, maybe a couple years.
That's cool that yours has the backpack straps. I would have liked that option but I can't complain. Wonder what made them change the design?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Elevation has a nice case out now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,594 Posts
That's cool that yours has the backpack straps. I would have liked that option but I can't complain. Wonder what made them change the design?

I do like the feature, but like I said the clips did bend out when I was just using one strap and carrying all my tactual aiming equipment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts