Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting target with a Bowtech Tribute for the bast 2 years but am looking to upgrade to something with a longer AtoA.
I'm considering the commander and constitution. Any recomendations?
I'm trying to keep the mass weight in my hand low as I have a damaged shoulder, so what bow is lighter and needs the least amound of stabilisers?

Currently shooting 29" at 55lb

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i would take a look at the Bowtech Constitution, Commander, Mathews C4, Drenalin LD, Martin Scepter 4, Hoyts Vantage line and elite line, cant think of any others at the moment.

I personally went with the constitution. i like the feel of the binary cams, the grip on it, among a few other things. I shot a few of the others like commander, LD, Scepter 4. Commander was a bit heavy, but would still make a great bow. the LD my only complaint was the grip, and also more expensive. the scepter i shot had the x system, which is really cool, however, i just didnt like the feel on the shot. hope this helps. if you can go out and shoot some. i know you will probably have a hard time doing so. what you can do is go to a local shoot or larger shoot and ask people if you can shoot their bow a few shots. many will let you.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Both are good choices. The commander seems like it would need less in the way of stabs. It seems lie the commander just sat better for me when I was playing with it in a shop. Not shying away from the connie though. The constitution should be a little more on the forgiving side but may need more added weight to get it to sit right for you.

·
74,535 Posts
constitution

Bowtechs best tournament bow. Most I know that are shooting this bow are doing well. Buddy just won the Open B class at Hattiesburg with his.:wink:

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Martin Scepter 4 or a bowtech Constitution....8 1/4" brace, 41" ATA, and 320 fps if you want to do some 3D. Commander is also a good choice, but for spots, the constitution would seem to be slightly more forgiving due to the greater brace (7 1/2" for 07 commander). I have a black marble 07 Constitution coming via fedex....can't wait to try it out for spots and 3D........:tongue:. Martin Scepter 4 also a real good choice.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I just got my commander yesterday ( i had a 06 connie) the commander sits better for me and feels better to me than the connie. I shot about 20 shots so far will shoot it more this weekend.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Those tow are good choices, but one of the hottest target bows on the market is the PSE MoneyMaker X NI. Need to see if you can at least shoot it, and all other before making your decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. The PSE looks good but there's no suppliers in UK near me.
Have shot the Guardian and it sits comfortably with little stabilisation so expect the commander to be the same.
Now just have to sell the Tribute to help pay for the next bow!
(that and what colour to go for!!)

·
Registered
10,682 Posts
Since you're in the UK, I'm surprised you don't mention Merlin.
They have better craftsmanship than virtually all US bows.

Sag.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
If you're mainly choosing between those two then I'd go with the Constitution. I had one of them for a while and I really liked the grip and the weight distribution of the bow. It would definitely be my choice if I had the shoulder problem you mentioned. I shot a Commander and it felt much heavier to me. I know the difference is probably pretty small on a scale but the percieved feel is where the Constitution won for me.

I sold it because the draw cycle really seemed harsh to me. It's the only bow I've ever had that gave me shoulder pain in my release shoulder after shooting it. It was fast and shot nicely though.

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
One of the most underrated target bows in my opinion is the Martin Mystic. It is lighter and faster than the S4 yet still has the grip angle and feel of the S4. You want lighter than stay away from the Commander...its a tank.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
One of the most underrated target bows in my opinion is the Martin Mystic. It is lighter and faster than the S4 yet still has the grip angle and feel of the S4. You want lighter than stay away from the Commander...its a tank.
Mystic weight = 4.2 lbs, Commie = 4.5 lbs. 3/10 lbs difference = 4.8 oz. .......:rolleyes:. The "tank" is a shooter....I just won 3rd in senior men's freestyle with it in the NYFAB classic state championship shoot this past weekend at Oneonta, NY...299 with 49x.......1st place winner shot a 300 with 41x....my only 4 came about due to a premature release on my back tension release.....maybe next year.......:cry:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts