Archery Talk Forum banner

Target bow ?s

398 19
Diving deep into the rabbit hole of archery. Picked up a VXR28, and im learning 1st hand that a 6" Brace height bow may now have been the best call. That said, im looking at the TRX38, and have been seriously researching sights, bows, rests etc. My hope is that I can find some local shoots here in WA state and get involved. I've come from a competitive rifle shooting background, so competition shoots are inevitable for me. So with that said, what do you all look for in a target set up? And what would you recommend a newer archer start with? I worry there will be as many products out there that could be considered snake oil in the archery world as there is the shooting world. I'd prefer to buy quality 1st rather than spend 2x as much re buying things i purchased without good insight. The vxr is a great bow, and I shoot it pretty well, but its a hunting bow and I don't see myself shooting in a competitive setting with it.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,019 Posts
Something you can send 72 arrows with in the morning and be happy to send another 72 with in the afternoon. It's not like a Rifle where the best barrel and optics make a massive difference. You won't shoot any better with a $1000 bow than you will with a $500 bow. Same goes for a $20 sight over a $500 sight. Buy what you want, buy what you like. Only thing that MIGHT help is a longer ATA anything above 33" will work

· Premium Member
Mathews VXR28
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Something you can send 72 arrows with in the morning and be happy to send another 72 with in the afternoon. It's not like a Rifle where the best barrel and optics make a massive difference. You won't shoot any better with a $1000 bow than you will with a $500 bow. Same goes for a $20 sight over a $500 sight. Buy what you want, buy what you like. Only thing that MIGHT help is a longer ATA anything above 33" will work
Good advice. Thank you!

· Registered
226 Posts
Welcome! I am in the same boat, got a VXR 31.5 and I have a TRX 38 on the way, should be here in a couple of weeks. I wanted something I could use for indoor and 3D, and really didn't want the 40. I'll update you when I have a chance to test it out!

· Registered
5,495 Posts

· Registered
5,495 Posts
You can't do anything in the Classifieds until you've been a member of AT for 2 weeks and have made at least 20 posts.

· Registered
5,495 Posts
No, just 20 posts. Years ago, when I was new, I got my 20 posts by going to the "New Members" sub-forum and welcoming 20 of them. Didn't take long at all.

And I still enjoy doing it.

· Registered
5,495 Posts
You can get some good deals from the Classifieds. When I use them, I PM the seller and touch base with them over the phone. That's about the best way I've found to not get burned. I either give them my phone number, or ask for theirs, If I can't make contact, then I do not pursue the purchase.

· Premium Member
Mathews VXR28
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Always a good call. We will do a date and a handle name on a piece of paper with pics when we send stuff on some of the firearm forums too. Just another way to verify the person has the stuff they're selling

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.