Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bowhunting for 20 years and I really enjoy archery. I've decided that I want to set up a target bow. I don't know anything about target sights and scopes, target stabilizers and counter weights and I have know idea where to start looking for shoots. Anyone that can help, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any one?

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
The answer to your question is too long. Everything is a matter of opinion from which target bow to stab and sight. Generally though, target bows are longer ata so pick something at least 38" or longer. Most target shooters use an expensive sight like a sure loc with a scope. As far as stabilizers, you can go short like a 12" b-stinger or long like a 36" Doinker Carbon Elite and there is just as much flexibility on the v-bars too. I suggest going to a pro shop that specializes in target archery, not hunting setups and get help from them.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good info, but I don't know of any pro shops that even stock any target stuff. All of the shops that I know of only stock a few hunting items.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The bow = You should look into bows with longer ATA . Preferably 50-60 lb , no need for more poundage. This will get you all the way out to 90m . I will not recommend any bow company - try a few , let the bow pick You. The let-off somewhere between 55-75 % is most common for target shooters, it all depends on the type of release you prefer and so on.

The sight = single pin for field shooting and spots , 5 pin for 3-d ( faster bow in that case to close the gap in between pins/ yardage ). You can also build a hybrid target scope ex: sureloc supreme with 9" extension bar and 4.5" vertical slide. Have a single pin/scope housing for field shoots and a 5pin housing for 3-d . You can swap housings depending on a shoot you choose.

Stabs = The longer the stab , the less weight you need at the end. With a long stab 28" you might wanna start off at 4oz , while short one 12" might take 10oz or bit more .

Rest = Most field archers opt. out for spring type a rests , while 3-d prefer dropaway.

This post is meant to give you a broad ( very broad ) view of what goes with what. Hopefully other archers will chime in with ideas, and it would be helpful if you could post some info on what type of target archery are you interested the most. 3-d archery setup differ alot from field archery and 5 spot setups . Your personal preference plays the biggest part in picking the right stuff.

·
Registered
540 Posts
well id say that until you get used to it, just use your hunting bow. there is really not that much transition between shooting in a stand and shooting in competition, of course ive never been bow hunting so i cant justify that last sentence. good luck!:smile::slice:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well I'm not afraid to recommend a bow. Look in the classifieds and find you a good used Mathews Conquest 4, a good 5 inch target sight w/scope, any good 36" carbon stab with 4-5oz. of weight at the end, Trophy Taker Spring Steel rest, and a dozen Easton ACC's and you'll be ready for target shooting. Oh and also get yourself a good target release.:smile:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really don't know what my options are for different types of competitions. I know of indoor spot shooting and 3D shoots. I've never been around any shoots and don't know where to start looking for them, so I really don't know what I'm going to be shooting.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
wrong

well id say that until you get used to it, just use your hunting bow. there is really not that much transition between shooting in a stand and shooting in competition, of course ive never been bow hunting so i cant justify that last sentence. good luck!:smile::slice:
I have to strongly disagree with Your statement there. It can be very different. In a lot of hunting situations You need to "command" Your release! Many times You really need to make rough guess at yardage very quickly. Treestand hunting You are shooting at a downward angle. And much of the time You are VERY cold and/or heavily clothed! BIG differences

·
Registered
120 Posts
Target Bow

If you have a pro shop near by see if they have a league going on. Introduce yourself and just observe what's beeing shot. If you have an outdoor club that shoots either field or 3D there again introduce your self and talk to the members. As far as a bow shoot as many as you can and get a feel and find out what you like and don't like. When doing a test drive on the bow try it with and without the stabilizer. Also make your self familiar with the different types of target shooting you might be doing. If one type appeals more than another than gear your equipment for the sport. But keep in mind that by selecting your gear wisely you maybe also to shoot multiple "games" with a minimum additional investment.

Good Luck and happy shooting

CJ

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have to strongly disagree with Your statement there. It can be very different. In a lot of hunting situations You need to "command" Your release! Many times You really need to make rough guess at yardage very quickly. Treestand hunting You are shooting at a downward angle. Andmuch of the time You are VERY coldand/or heavily clothed!
well like i said ive never been bow hunting before so i could justify that sentence. that was just my opinion:slice:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Go and visit your local archery shops. Most of the time they run 5-spot fun shoots here and there, it's a good start to meet alot of people who shoot tourneys regularly , they will lend you a hand - get you started. Use your current bow for now , train with a 5 spot target face on your own time. 60 arrows - 5 shots at a time. With your current hunting rig, you are pretty much set for 3-d shoots, it is afterall the way hunters train all year to be ready for hunting season.

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
Indoor season is pretty much over til about november
find a proshop with a range and practice or take the hunting bow to some 3d shoots
one doesn't need a target bow to shoot targets...we want one :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm in WV. My current hunting rig is a reezen 7.0 w/spott hogg 5 pin hogg it sights and mathews drop force rest. I shoot a 456 grain full metal jacket arrow.

·
Resident Philosopher
11,625 Posts
I'm in WV. My current hunting rig is a reezen 7.0 w/spott hogg 5 pin hogg it sights and mathews drop force rest. I shoot a 456 grain full metal jacket arrow.
sounds like you are rigged up
go shoot some paper or foam instead of flesh:D

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Redhouse, you can shoot targets with what you have. In some shoots they will even have a "bowhunter" class just for shooters like you. You're equipment is capable of beating a lot of "target shooters" if you can shoot well. But there are much smoother bows than your Reezen.

The best thing you could change is your arrows. Most target shooters use Easton Navigators, ACC's, or something even more expensive. Your FMJ's are quite heavy, but the are durable enough to use.

Then you could change your sight and peep to a "target rig". If you get hooked you can always shoot the arrows and sight with a new target bow.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Redhouse, you can shoot targets with what you have. In some shoots they will even have a "bowhunter" class just for shooters like you. You're equipment is capable of beating a lot of "target shooters" if you can shoot well. But there are much smoother bows than your Reezen.

The best thing you could change is your arrows. Most target shooters use Easton Navigators, ACC's, or something even more expensive. Your FMJ's are quite heavy, but the are durable enough to use.

Then you could change your sight and peep to a "target rig". If you get hooked you can always shoot the arrows and sight with a new target bow.
Yep take what you have and just shoot hunter class some even have different nites for just hunters. I shot all hunter stuff last couple of years. It's a diferent ball game with a scope gonna try it this year.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Wrong

well like i said ive never been bow hunting before so i could justify that sentence. that was just my opinion:slice:
Well You were definitely "off base" with that thought. Have You ever thought of giving bowhunting a try? Or are You a non-hunter? If You enjoy gun hunting, You'll love bowhunting!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts