Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello this will be my first post on archery talk. im a fairly new archer and currently using a bear agenda 6 but it has far too much draw weight for me. im not a great hunter and want to transition to strictly target archery and competitions. my question is should i trade in my agenda for a compound bow with longer ATA and longer brace height? or should i simply get limbs with less weight? my local dealer sells mostly bowtech bows and i kinda want a single cam bow for the smooth draw.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
How many pounds are you trying to shoot, and can you back off the limb bolts any? What kind of target shooting are you looking to get in, 3-D, field, indoor spots, the reason I ask ,is some require a little different set up if you really want to get serious. A hunting bow can do the job, but shooting 60 arrows at spots can be a little exhausting if you are over bowed now. Cheers--BB

·
Team 4 Play
17,306 Posts
I'd say try trading with someone on here and see what you can work out. Being new is going to make it a little more trial and error and believe me guys go through lots of trial and possible even more error before they find a target rig that works well for them. Good luck. Is there a local club that you can go to for help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my bow is set to 70lb max and is backed down to 61lb. im not sure what sort of competition im going for since ive never been to any. right now i just shoot in my front yard at a target but 3-d i think is what im going for

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
the longer the ata(axle to axle) and the larger the brace the more the bow will be forgiving.this means not magnifying the errors in your form(your shot).lower poundage will allow you to shoot longer before coming fatigued.my advice is get a bow with target like specs.longer than a 35" ata and a brace height of 7" or greater.50-60lbs is all you need.70lbs is a thing of the past.there are certain occasions that 70lbs will be preferable but worry about that bridge when you cross.60lbs is the new 70.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have a archery Pro-shop locally go there first, talk, listen, then shoot what they have available. Next I would look outside of your area to do the same thing. Is there a local archery club to check out? Most of the folks at the local archery club will have insight on getting you on the right track, and have fun doing it. All of the archery community is about helping other archers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts