Archery Talk Forum banner

Target HEIGHT

8093 Views 14 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  CHPro
does anyone know what the NFAA rules say about how high the indoor targets are to be spaced from the floor up ?
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
I think that the minimum for the bottom of the target is supposed to br 18".

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts
Ok here is your official answer.

VIII.A. Target Butt Dimensions
If square or rectangular, the width or height of a target butt shall not be less than 40 inches. 48 inches is preferred; and if a circular butt is used, the minimum diameter shall not be less that 48 inches. Butts of these sizes will hold four NFAA/IFAA or WAF target faces.
NFAA requires that the bottom of the target butt be at least 16 inches from the floor.
For easel-mounted butts, the backward tilt cannot be more than 15° from vertical, and the tilt-angle must
be the same for all butts used in a tournament. A perfectly vertical target face is ideal, but care must be taken to
avoid having the butt pitch forward during arrow removal.
The thickness of a target butt should be no greater than the length of the shortest arrow. A completely
buried "pass-through" is almost impossible to extract.

· WV Archery Association
159 Posts

If square or rectangular, the width or height of a target butt shall not be less than 40 inches. 48 inches is preferred; and if a circular butt is used, the minimum diameter shall not be less that 48 inches. Butts of these sizes will hold four NFAA/IFAA or WAF target faces.
NFAA requires that the bottom of the target butt be at least 16 inches from the floor.
For easel-mounted butts, the backward tilt cannot be more than 15° from vertical, and the tilt-angle must
be the same for all butts used in a tournament. A perfectly vertical target face is ideal, but care must be taken to
The thickness of a target butt should be no greater than the length of the shortest arrow. A completely

What page of the Constitution and By Laws is this rule on..?

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
What page of the Constitution and By Laws is this rule on..?
NFAA
2008/2009
CONSTITUTION and BY-LAWS of the NATIONAL FIELD ARCHERY ASSOCIATION
Thirty seventh Edition
Reprinted May 2008

Page 80

13.9 STANDARDS FOR INDOOR ARCHERY RANGES:
13.9.1 Target butts may be made of straw, excelsior or any other material which
in the eyes of the inspector would not be damaging to the arrows and yet
provide suitable stoppage.
13.9.2 Butts shall not be made of material which, in a short time, will allow the
passage of arrows.
13.9.3 At any time butts begin to allow pass-through arrows, the condition shall
be corrected at once.
13.9.4 Each butt shall be large enough to carry the needed target faces for the
round being shot. Each shall have sufficient backing without overlapping
one another. The minimum size shall be 40” square or 48” in diameter. A
deviation in minimum size will be permitted in those club-type operations
where each archer is assigned his own butt providing it is large enough to
fully support a 40-cm. target face.
13.9.5 There shall be at least one face (or set) on the butt for each archer shooting
on that line.
13.9.6 The distance from the floor to the bottom of the butt shall be 16”
minimum.
13.9.7 Ceiling to floor distance shall be a minimum of 8’6”. Each shooting lane
shall be 24” minimum.
13.9.8 Movable equipment shall be capable of stopping the target at the following
distances, plus or minus 4”, 20, 15 and 10 yards. 55, 50, 40, 35, 25 and 20
feet.

· WV Archery Association
159 Posts
NFAA
2008/2009
CONSTITUTION and BY-LAWS of the NATIONAL FIELD ARCHERY ASSOCIATION
Thirty seventh Edition
Reprinted May 2008

Page 80

13.9 STANDARDS FOR INDOOR ARCHERY RANGES:
13.9.1 Target butts may be made of straw, excelsior or any other material which
in the eyes of the inspector would not be damaging to the arrows and yet
provide suitable stoppage.
13.9.2 Butts shall not be made of material which, in a short time, will allow the
passage of arrows.
13.9.3 At any time butts begin to allow pass-through arrows, the condition shall
be corrected at once.
13.9.4 Each butt shall be large enough to carry the needed target faces for the
round being shot. Each shall have sufficient backing without overlapping
one another. The minimum size shall be 40” square or 48” in diameter. A
deviation in minimum size will be permitted in those club-type operations
where each archer is assigned his own butt providing it is large enough to
fully support a 40-cm. target face.
13.9.5 There shall be at least one face (or set) on the butt for each archer shooting
on that line.
13.9.6 The distance from the floor to the bottom of the butt shall be 16”
minimum.
13.9.7 Ceiling to floor distance shall be a minimum of 8’6”. Each shooting lane
shall be 24” minimum.
13.9.8 Movable equipment shall be capable of stopping the target at the following
distances, plus or minus 4”, 20, 15 and 10 yards. 55, 50, 40, 35, 25 and 20
feet.
So, if there are two target butts stack on top of each other, as long as the bottom butt is at least 16" from the floor it is considered legal.
I feel the first question was concerning the height of the top butt.. if the first butt is lets say 24" to 30" off the floor the top butt is alittle high..
I believe that xring1 was trying to find the max..for the top butt.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
So, if there are two target butts stack on top of each other, as long as the bottom butt is at least 16" from the floor it is considered legal.
I feel the first question was concerning the height of the top butt.. if the first butt is lets say 24" to 30" off the floor the top butt is alittle high..
I believe that xring1 was trying to find the max..for the top butt.
Sorry, what I quoted deals with range inspections and is talking about butt height, not target height. Will have to do some more digging. :teeth:

· Registered
6,681 Posts
I don't think you need to do any additional digging prag_lee. Pretty certain you're not going to find a min or max target height for NFAA other than the 16" min to the bottom of the target butt for Indoor Ranges you noted above.

>>-------->

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
I don't think you need to do any additional digging prag_lee. Pretty certain you're not going to find a min or max target height for NFAA other than the 16" min to the bottom of the target butt for Indoor Ranges you noted above.

>>-------->
I think you're correct. :teeth:

· Independent Joe
5,224 Posts

bottom of the butt no lower than 16", top of the butt now lower than 40" with 48" preferred. All info can be found here
http://www.nfaa-archery.org/depot/documents/170-2005404-Archery Range Guidelines.pdf

· Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
confused

you mean a flat solid surface . what i ran into the other day was two bags stacked on top of each other. the base the bottom bag was on was 26in off ground so by the time you put your target on the top bag the center of it was eye level for me and iam 6 ft 1 in !

· Registered
8,033 Posts
I have shot at a few shops where you needed a cut chart or clinometer to shoot!!:teeth:

· Registered
6,681 Posts
the base the bottom bag was on was 26in off ground so by the time you put your target on the top bag the center of it was eye level for me and iam 6 ft 1 in !
> 16" off the ground to the bottom of the target butt, so perfectly legit. Like NevadaPro said, I've shot some indoor facilities where even I had to reach up to pull my arrows and I'm pushing 6'2". You get used to it if you ever shoot 18m FITA at the top row of targets. Official height for that round definitely puts the top spot on a 3-spot target above eye-level for me :). At least with NFAA rounds you get to switch 1/2-way through the round and move from top to bottom (and vice versa) for a change of pace. Not so with FITA, stuck with where you start :).

>>------>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.