Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw several bag targets here stuffed with clothes or grocery bags. How well do you think it would work if I stuffed a burlap bag full of poly, the type you get on a roll for vapor barrier?
Thanks!
Bob

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but I heard of folks using the poly that boats are wrapped in when being transported to the dealers. There's a boat dealer just down the road from me and I really need to try this out.

· Registered
13 Posts
I just filled one with carpet pad. Works amazing. Just called a carpet store and asked for scraps, they had a whole 20x20 tuff shed full of scraps. Free.
Did you stuff them haphazard into the bag? or arrange them in some manner? Does it hold up to the higher speed arrows (250-300)?? I need a cheap target and this sounds great!

· Registered
380 Posts
I layed one flat piece front and back, then just stuffed the bag as full and tight as i could get it. It's stopping arrows from 82nd's and gt500's set at 70lbs. Arrows exit rear of target about two inches.

· Registered
7 Posts
I've made targets from burlap sacks, plastic vapor barrier type sheeting and cotton left over from when they remove the cotton bales from out of the fields.
I would arrange the material as follows packing it as tight as possible with my fists. Looking into the sack from above, in the bottom of sack, I would arrange a center core of cotton, then several layers of sheeting, then a layer of cotton, then several layers of sheeting, until the interior of bag is reached with a plastic layer. The layers look like the rings of a target looking down form above the bag. This allows you to rotate the bag and use all sides as a target face for extended life. Stopped arrows nicely with two finger removal and a burlap sack outer shell was easy to find. It lasted for years.

· Registered
557 Posts
Go to your local archery shop and get a cover for a bag target, they seem to last longer than burlap. Then go to any department type store and find out when truck day is. Might get them every night, or once a week. Ask for the "pallet wrap" or "shrink wrap", all stores I have been to throw it away. You can get it all in one stop at Sportsman's, Cabelas etc.

Stuff it in there as tight as you can. I went as far as stomping on it. Arrows can be a bit tough to remove until it is shot in, but it will stop any arrow for a long time to come and is weather proof. The bag gets a little messed up from prolonged sun exposure though.

I have 3 bags like this myself and they stop an FMJ from an 80lb. X-Force in about 3.5". Have had them for about a year and one is just now getting pass throughs. It still stops them, but they poke out the back a little.

· Registered
520 Posts
I haven't tried it yet, but I heard of folks using the poly that boats are wrapped in when being transported to the dealers. There's a boat dealer just down the road from me and I really need to try this out.
My buddy has a target stuffed with the "boat wrap", it stops arrows, but the material really grabs carbon, and can be tuff to pull.

· Registered
297 Posts
I've made quite a few homemade targets using tightly packed plastic shopping bags. They all work great. I'm sure the polywrap would work equally well. Main thing is you have to stuff it evenly, or enough, so you don't get a spot that will allow complete pass through. Yeah, did that my first time. :confused: They've all held up to a good month of semi-regular shooting. For the cost I'm more than willing to keep stuffing boxes every so often.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.