Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I've been stalking the forums for a while, but I'm happy to start joining in!

I bought a Samick Sage over the summer (25#) and I've really enjoyed doing some target shooting at my local range. The pro shop guys set me up with some Easton Jazz 1816 aluminiums to start out with, because a) I asked for something cheap, b) I am a tiny person and shoot 27" arrows.

They've been perfectly adequate for my first few months of learning, but the feather fletchings keep falling off pretty much every time I shoot due to passing through the targets. I've spent more money having them repaired than I would have on a higher quality set, so I think I'm ready to upgrade to something a little more durable. I'd also like something that might carry me through to heavier limbs in the next few months. I have no intention of hunting or anything like that, although I might like to try 3D some day.

I've done a bunch of research about the terminology and everything, but my questions are these:

1) Does it make sense to upgrade at this point, when I'm still kind of beating the heck out of them while grouping at shorter distances?
2) Am I going to have the same fletching problems no matter what type of arrow I choose? The pro shop guys do the work for me.
3) Is carbon going to be my best option? The Gold Tip Ultralight Entradas seem interesting, but would that be trading one basic entry-level product for another?
4) Does anyone have specific recommendations for low-poundage target shooting? I only shoot indoors at the moment, up to 20 yards.

Thanks so much for taking the time! :)

- Jen

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are only shooting 25lbs and the arrows are completely passing thru the target backstop and ripping the fletchings new arrows are not what you need. You need a new target Butt/Backstop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The range is in the process of changing them out to new backstop foam right now. They use two blocks on top of each other, and sometimes the arrows slip through the join. But the feathers will also come off if I brush one arrow with another and neither of them pass through, so it's not just that.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I would take a look at the Easton carbon ones, I'm guessing a spine of 1000 0r even 1200.
Yes if you continue to have pass throughs you will continue to have damage. Definitely want to upgrade the targets.

You can buy a stiffer spined arrow like 900 and leave them extra long. When you get stronger limbs you can then cut them a little shorter to make them stiffer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A bit late on the comments - if the fletch is coming off that easily then I suspect a problem with the cleaning of the shafts. I have been shooting since this spring with my son, we have hs plenty of passthroughs on the backyard target (hitting near the edges, feather has gone into the surface so you need to pull the arrow through) still have the original feathers, some are getting a bit ratty.

I would only upgrade if your at the point where you feel the arrows are limiting you - or maybe you have bent some. If your in this for the long hall get a fetching jig and then no need to pay a pro shop. Reflecting will basically on
Bly be the cost of feathers or vanes. Bits jigs can be had used here or on eBay for around $50.

No real comments on spine as I'm to much of a newbi myself. For arrows to also use outdoors look at carbon super clubs - from the info on the list they seem to be a good way to go as you gain experience.

Last point as your in MA look into riverside in Hudson - they have nice facilities (I joined in Oct).
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts