Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Sorry I’m tired. Just to clarify. Breathing process is
-inhale through nose
-slowly exhale through mouth. When all air is out you will feel completely relaxed for 2-3 seconds. In those seconds that is when you want to fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my opinion target panic is hard to overcome, but a true back tension release can help. It will make you hold on target and pull through the shot. As this becomes more of a natural feeling you can progress to a different style of release if you want. Just my 2 cents, but have seen the results work. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
yes a hinge will help with shot anticipation,if that's your problem. there are certainly many kinds of Target Panic,...."get locked off target" is what the OP posted. that,...is not a release problem,...it is a mental problem within your shot execution's process,.....which a different release will not and/or can not help get rid of permanently. a different release may distract it for a short while,.... but it will return as soon as your shot process gets used to the different release. what is happening with classic "freeze type target panic,...is that the shot execution process doesn't trust the release process to run well enough to produce a good shot. so,....it does something,...anything,...to keep the shot from getting to the point that the release process has to run to make the shot. what ir chooses to do in classic Target panic, is freeze anywhere other than the center of the bullseye, as long as that pin doesn't settle on the center of the bullseye, it knows that it doesn't have to trust the release process, so that is what it does. it is the main reason we try to assign the release process to the subconscious level of process. the sub-conscious can run all by itself, right along side the conscious and not interfere with the program that running in the conscious process. when the release process is not sub-conscious, it cannot run by itself along side the conscious process of sight alignment because our brains are not capable of processing two conscious thoughts at exactly the same time and sight,is a conscious process ( you cannot sub-consciously see something), so the release process get the ticket to be run subconsciously. when we don't do the work required to program the sub-conscious process to run the release, ....we most usually end up punching, freezing,or anticipating the shot.
I wasn't arguing that a release could fix this OP's version of TP. I don't disagree with anything in your post really.

I was arguing that the people stating 'TP will never be fixed by buying a release' are painting with a real wide brush considering the many manifestations of TP. So someone that's reading this thread that may or may not have a different version of TP might get the wrong idea. You have to know what you have before you can really figure out how to treat it effectively.

My first sentence probably should have included 'with target panic' so it wasn't assumed I meant 'help OP with his specific version of TP'. I was a bit too ambiguous.

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
what worked for me was a HEAVY spring in a carter 2 shot. hook the finger tight and pull through the shot. the michael braden dvd helped me so much. straight talk with Michael Braden

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
what worked for me was a HEAVY spring in a carter 2 shot. hook the finger tight and pull through the shot. the michael braden dvd helped me so much. straight talk with Michael Braden

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
the heavy trigger is a common remedy for shot anticipation. you want tohave to work a bit to get the shot to go. if you don't, you will end up with either anticipation,....because you know the shot will go as soon as you touch the trigger, or a timid shot,... where you get timid about touching the trigger because you know the shot will go as soon as you touch the trigger. two different problems from the same source.

·
Registered
46 Posts
what i do to not have as much target panic and punch my trigger is i will draw my bow back and aim like i am going to shoot but instead of shooting hold the bow for 5-10 seconds and let back down

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Back-tension has helped me 100%. Opinions are opinions. Yes it is between the ears.You do not get past mental by setting it aside. Work through it. But It allows you work through the shot process without punching the trigger. Push and pull. Dont be afraid To give it try. I’m glad I did.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Back-tension has helped me 100%. Opinions are opinions. Yes it is between the ears.You do not get past mental by setting it aside. Work through it. But It allows you work through the shot process without punching the trigger. Push and pull. Dont be afraid To give it try. I’m glad I did.
Couldn’t agree more. Do I think my hinge has completely cured my target panic? No, but I no longer float by the target and I am shooting the best groups of my life. I bought a Carter Honey 2 and I’m hunting with it! Give it a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Hoyt Helix
15 Posts
Switching to a back tension helped me. I bought a Tru-Fire Sear. ($139) Adjusted it so there was no click. It took a while to get used to. It should help get your mind on the target and not the trigger. It's not magic but it helped me work through the panic. I still shoot a thumb from time to time and I shoot it a lot better now.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I wasn't arguing that a release could fix this OP's version of TP. I don't disagree with anything in your post really.

I was arguing that the people stating 'TP will never be fixed by buying a release' are painting with a real wide brush considering the many manifestations of TP. So someone that's reading this thread that may or may not have a different version of TP might get the wrong idea. You have to know what you have before you can really figure out how to treat it effectively.

My first sentence probably should have included 'with target panic' so it wasn't assumed I meant 'help OP with his specific version of TP'. I was a bit too ambiguous.
there are many manfestations to TP. but in the end, they all stem from a glitch in your mental process that controls what you do during a shot. a different release distracts that process because it now has a new element that it must learn,...namely the new release. as the process applies itself to learning the release TP takes a back seat because it'a attention is on the release process and re-programming the execution. once the execution has been re-programmed to run the new release, that part of the shot is installed and you get used to to the new process. at that point, target panic can and usually will return because the only part of your shot that changed was the portion that runs the new release. with that portion of the process installed into your shot, everything is back to normal, and the portion of the shot process that contains the TP will continue on as if no change has been made,....simply because no change has been made to the portion that the TP manifests. so,...it returns because your shot process hasn't learned a new portion that does not contain Target Panic. target panic is not contained in the process that runs your release, it is contained in the portion of the process that allows one part of the process to trust that the other part will function correctly when it is time for that part of the process to run the execution of the shot. as soon as you become accustomed to that new release, the portion of the shot process that doesn't trust a certain portion of the shot process will pick back up not trusting the portion it didn't trust before. it may be your release process that isn't trusted, or it may be your float control, or your transition from aiming to release execution that isn't trusted. the point i make is that what shows outwardly as the problem is because there is a trust problem somewhere else in your shot process.the trick is to figure out where that trust is lacking and work to improve that portion of the trust issue. the most common issue, is that your shot process doesn't trust your release process to run the shot when it is time to fire the arrow.the remedy is to not let your shot get to the point where it has to fire the arrow. that is what we experience when we freeze low, or float wildly. as long as that happens, your shot process doesn't have to trust the protion it doesn't trust. so it simply stops your shot, before it gets there. bt getting a new release, you have done nothing to the portion of your shot process that doesn't trust your release process. so once you learn that new release, that same portionstill doesn't trust your release process and the target panic picks back up where it left off.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A hinge release saved archery for me. I was getting so frustrated I decided I had to do something different. Got a HBC and it was like a light switch. My brain was totally fine holding on target and executing a surprise shot. It was such a strange and pleasant experience. I have since switched and mainly use a Stan Element and can’t say enough good things about it. Thought after months of shooting a hinge and resistance I’d try my nock2it. And instantly my brain recognized the trigger and first shot was a drive by. Sold it the same day and have absolutely no regrets. Also forces me to pick a spot and pull through and since the switch I’ve killed 3 animals and the furthest blood trail has been 30yards.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Before going to the release solution

work your form and bow over. If your floating all over the place tp, punchy, flybys ect happen.

dl short or long will have you fighting yourself and the bow.

weights stabilizer they help but to much and back to fighting

pin on target or 6’o’clock. Personal preference, but some can’t help but continuesly move the pin to see the x. (Often a up down float or firgure 8 wobble can be seen.

Some are just not all that steady.

I have bullseye jerk. I can hold under the bullseye perfect forever soon as I start to move the trigger I move. Like I intentionally am missing drives me nuts till I get a few in the x

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah like SHPoet said, that TP is all mental. You need to find a way to let your mind be okay with your pin in the middle of the target without feeling the urge to get the shot off asap. you can fire any release with back tension. i hunt with an index release and everything else is with my thumb button. with my index release i come to anchor and wrap my finger around the trigger and trying to get the trigger at my first knuckle, so shorten the head of the barrel about as far as it will go. Keep that finger "hooked" around the trigger and simply just pull your elbow at an object behind you. i would literally turn around and look for something to pull my elbow towards, it helped me. with my thumb button i come to anchor and wrap my thumb around the barrel of the trigger, i let my other fingers relax while keeping my thumb stationary, then i just pull my elbow straight back till the release breaks.

a buddy of mine had bad TP and tried to cure it with a hinge, it did nothing for him as he would still flinch through out the shot process. just let the shot break when it wants to, don't try to time it or anticipate it.

i will add that my index release is a cheap one and lacks adjustability for the sensitivity of the trigger and trigger travel, i would definitely buy something with adjustability. my thumb button is a scott pursuit and i love it!
Friend of mine had that problem and I would have him draw and hold the bow and I would set off the release he never knew when I was going to set it off it helped him

21 - 33 of 33 Posts