Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that every once in awhile i get to punching my trigger and when i start it is very hard for me to stop i try to get my mind focused in on relaxing and squeezing the trigger but it just dont work. I have tried releases that will not let you punch the release only squeeze the release i cant get that release to fire all the time. I have a back tension release a four finger stans. But im kinda afraid of it i know dont be a baby but its like im afraid it is going to release when im drawing back. I have tried twisting my wrist down but it is just nerve racking afraid it is going to fire and hit myself in the face with my hand. I was thinking of maybe looking into the cascade model 10 which is the release that you half to press and then relax your finger to get it to fire. Should i just stick with the release that i bought that will only let you fire by squeezing the trigger i dont remember the brand but it is a strap on wrist release. Please if anyone has any help i would greatly appreciate it this is the worst feeling in the world and not being able to stop it. Really gets on your nerves. Thanks

· Registered
12,746 Posts
You really should see a coach or someone who teaches. That is the quickest and cheapest way to get better. You don't want to chase your tail for years trying to learn without proper instruction. Shooting the release properly isn't really hard, but it does take time to untrain your mind on punching.

· Registered
5,230 Posts
I went through the same thing you are going through. I tried all the releases that were sold for target panic and the cascade did nothing but make it worse for me. The releases that you say will not fire if you punch, I assume you mean"the answer" release is the one that worked for me. I understand you get frustrated when it doesnt go off but believe me it is helping you by not going off. I used to let down after about 2-3 times of it not going off,take a break and try again. after a while i could get it to go off perfect everytime. The back tension is good also but you need someone to show you how to use it. Stick with the anti punch release for now and trust me it will get better with patience. If it will totally not fire at all you need to make the proper adjustment to the set screw on the side of it. If I remember right it is ver touchy. good luck and keep trying:thumbs_up

· Registered
5,313 Posts
Do a members list search for user name "GRIV" he has some excellent posts on curing target panic. They may also be in the articles page. Good luck. You may also want to pick up a copy of Michael Bradens "Straight Talk" video. It has some great info in it also.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
DO NOT buy the cascade, i had a similar problem and the solution was the TruBall SweetSpot2 Ultra four finger model, it is a regular bt release with a thumb safety. Draw, anchor, hold, depress the safety and apply the bt and bang, total surprise release without the accidents :embara: They arent cheap but neither are the carters, most of the worlds top archers prefer bt to a thumb trigger.
http://truball.com/Pages/3sweetspot.html

· Registered
6,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so do you have any idea what the price of that release is running i think the carter one are around 150 or so. the first couple of times that has to be odd pressing the trigger thinking it is going to shoot and nothing does. Then using bt to fire it. would take some getting use to. i have a bt release a stans but it does not have a safety thats why im a little scared of it. so these releases with the safety will not fire until the safety is released correct.

· Registered
5,230 Posts
no you dont have to keep thumb on the safety. the safety just keeps it from firing at all while pulling it back. once you get to full draw flip the safety off and start back tension. If I were you though I would seriously look into "the Answer" release. It is pretty much idiot proof and it sounds like you are already shooting a caliper style of release. Unless you have some help from someone that knows how to properly use a BT it will just frustrate the heck out of you.

· Lou & Jode
11,142 Posts
back tension releases

Try a hinged style triggerless BT release that has a clicker on one side of the half moon,if you rotate your hand while drawing or prematurely it will click and warn you that it's ready to go.I also think BT releases that have the thumb grab are a great tool for beginners,grabbing the thumb peg when your drawing and anchoring keeps the pressure where it's needed to keep it from prematurely firing.If you keep the pressure on the release to the thumb side of your hand and use the clicker side of the half moon these releases will not fire untill you release the thumb and pull or rotate to the click.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.