Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I receintly developed infrequent target panic, only once in a while but its there anyway. I have been using an older Carter Hole Thing 3, and have been told that I should try a tension release. The problem I experience is I am at times unable bring the site to the center of the target, seems like I am holding a 300 pound weight on my bow hand, then I attempt to force it and sometimes miss the target butt completely. If I use a back tension release how does this eliminate the portion of target panic that does not allow me to bring the site to the center of the x ring? I ordered a Carter 2.75 today, and am wondering if this will cure the problem. Any suggestions or thoughts.
Don

·
>>>--Shoot Em' Up---->
19,494 Posts
I am YankeeRebel. I am a recovering Target Panic Shooter. You have done the 1st step on beating your Target Panic. Admitting you have Target Panic. As I said above, I am a recovering TP Shooter. Meaning I am still dealing with it from time to time.

The symptoms you described are what myself and others have experienced or are experiencing. It is frustrating and almost to the point of just laying down the Bow for good. But there is an answer. For some it can be taking off your sites and blind bale shooting. It could be switching to a different release. It can be a instructional video or Book. Different strokes for different folks. What has been working for me is a True Back Tension Release. I use a True Ball Sweet Spot 2 4 Finger. It has no trigger. It makes you use back tension to set it off. All you have to worry about is focusing on your spot, click off the safety and wait for the back tension to set it off. Honestly at first, I didn't like it at all. But it has helped me by leaps and bounds. If it wasn't for my Pro-Shop owner, Don Stout at Country Archery, I would have never stuck with it. It takes the mental game away of "When To Shoot". If you do not think of the release going off and just focus on holding your sites on target, you will be fine. The "Surprise Release" of True Back Tension is what really helped me. It may help you too. Good luck with your Target Panic ddonald. There are alot of posts here on ArcheryTalk about TP. Look them up and read and learn a little of what has helped others.Good Luck. TP can be beat. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pick the pin up over the spot and let it settle into the dot. Pull a little harder against the wall or push a little less. This seems to help me I have a problem with my pin settling low or at the bottom of the dot also. I don't know if a back tension release would help. I don't think it couldn't hurt anything though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Target Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I READ BOTH YOU'RE POST,S. I FEEL YOU'RE PAIN:cry: I TOO HAVE HAD TP. I TOO HAVE BEATEN THIS. BUT IT WAS THE HARDEST THING TO DO. I WAS SSSSSSSSCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEE TO DEATH OF THE BOW ARROWS THE TARGET AFRAID OF MISSING BEING EMBARRESSED WHEN IT DID HAPPEN. I STAYED WITH IT AND WORKED IT OUT. I STILL TO THIS DAY CANNOT USE A INDEX FINGER CONTROLLED RELEASE. I HAD TO GO TO A BACKTENSION RELEASE. I CAN STAY CALM ON TARGET AND AIM FOR MY SHOT THE RELEASE GOES OFF BY IT SELF. RIGHT NOW I AM USING THE LOESCH TRUEBACK TENSION RELEASE. IT WORKS REAL WELL IF YOU GOT BIG HANDS WHIC I DO. THANKS ALOT FOR LISTENING GUYS AND STICK WITH IT. IT CAN BE BEATEN. IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN DO YOU LET ME KNOW. THANKS JIM

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
YankeeRebel said:
I am YankeeRebel. I am a recovering Target Panic Shooter. You have done the 1st step on beating your Target Panic. Admitting you have Target Panic. As I said above, I am a recovering TP Shooter. Meaning I am still dealing with it from time to time.

The symptoms you described are what myself and others have experienced or are experiencing. It is frustrating and almost to the point of just laying down the Bow for good. But there is an answer. For some it can be taking off your sites and blind bale shooting. It could be switching to a different release. It can be a instructional video or Book. Different strokes for different folks. What has been working for me is a True Back Tension Release. I use a True Ball Sweet Spot 2 4 Finger. It has no trigger. It makes you use back tension to set it off. All you have to worry about is focusing on your spot, click off the safety and wait for the back tension to set it off. Honestly at first, I didn't like it at all. But it has helped me by leaps and bounds. If it wasn't for my Pro-Shop owner, Don Stout at Country Archery, I would have never stuck with it. It takes the mental game away of "When To Shoot". If you do not think of the release going off and just focus on holding your sites on target, you will be fine. The "Surprise Release" of True Back Tension is what really helped me. It may help you too. Good luck with your Target Panic ddonald. There are alot of posts here on ArcheryTalk about TP. Look them up and read and learn a little of what has helped others.Good Luck. TP can be beat. :thumbs_up
Same here, I'm using a Sweet spot 3 and can now shoot TP free. I can even shoot my caliper release without TP.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I feel your pain..

Had it… worked to get it gone… went to BT… gone… now back… it sucks.. shot 2 zeros last night.. thought I had it licked… I am so jerky right now.. that I look like I just got a bee sting in my ass when I am ready to shoot.

TP with a BT.. I am SOL… Now I may have to do the blank bale, 3 months… stuff.. Might give up target shooting if that happens.

I will give visualization one more try.. and retry practicing let downs… today, while shooting during lunch… it seemed to help.. last time

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You wouldnt believe it would help but a BT release does wonders. What I have found that makes me more accurate with one is I focus on my pin and get it on target...then I shift my focus to what I am shooting at and I DO NOT look at anything else even the pin. I just keep my eyes on that X and start the BT. I have shrunk my groups from about 6-8in at 30 to a consistant 4-6" group.(i know its not the tightest but its an awsome group for ME)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I spent the better part of a month shooting with out a dot in my scope and trained my mind to focus soley on the X. My target panic or freeze was almost gone.

I found if I look at my dot during the shot process I start to freeze below the X.

Try shooting without your pin and dot and see what developes.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My problem was flinching when I shot an index finger release. I switched to a BT and all my problems were solved. My form has improved and when I shoot groups, all my arrows are right on top of each other. With BT, the arrow is gone before I can think about flinching. BT is the way to go.

·
Bowhemian
8,295 Posts
Donald,

You can overcome those periodic target panic episodes by doing something different: Use a different type release. Shoot a different bow. Shoot at a different distance, or at a different target. Doing that will short-circuit the program in your sub-conscious which is telling you what it wants you to do, and when.

Re: difficulty in bringing your sight picture up: You are mentally leaning into your shot. Consciously shift your weight slightly to your rear leg. That will bring you right up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
300# wooooooooooooooo

ddonald said:
I receintly developed infrequent target panic, only once in a while but its there anyway. I have been using an older Carter Hole Thing 3, and have been told that I should try a tension release. The problem I experience is I am at times unable bring the site to the center of the target, seems like I am holding a 300 pound weight on my bow hand, then I attempt to force it and sometimes miss the target butt completely. If I use a back tension release how does this eliminate the portion of target panic that does not allow me to bring the site to the center of the x ring? I ordered a Carter 2.75 today, and am wondering if this will cure the problem. Any suggestions or thoughts.
Don

ok first is when you cant shoot when you cant finish the you shoot in one motion ( with your back tension) any type off relaese they all go out with back tension. just have to pre load your finger just to where is going to fire and the finish this back tension, so pre load, aim form and its gone.

know i think there something else i will help if when you are pulling back you pre aim at the same time focus at your target all time at this time you will pull but placing your bow to the target , at the time u are at full draw your pin will be in the ballpark from this point pre load your relaese ,form, aim and just relax your bow arm to move it to the X.

try this

dont have to send money in release if dont whant to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Holding on center - Target Panic

I'd suggest moving in closer or shooting at a much larger target, or both. Make it large enough that holding on it is ridiculously easy. Shoot until you can execute with no issues (signs of TP). Get a slightly smaller target and do the same thing. Keep progressing to smaller targets. When you feel it coming back, go back to bigger targets for a while.

The trick is to worry less about the results (where the arrow hits) of your shot and more about the execution (good form). Accept the fact that your sight picture will have movement and that you will miss from time to time.

Good luck with this. It's not easy but take comfort in the fact that you aren't alone.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You have what we call in the UK gold shyness !!
If a back tension release will cure it good luck but I had it happen when I shot RECURVE !!
Try this test---- Try to aim at the spot with an arrow in the bow and I bet it feels like a huge weight holding your arm down.
Now try without the arrow (dont dry fire) and I bet you can aim at the spot with no problem (I could).
Why should a release aid cure that ?
The only "cure" is to give the brain a new picture.
How do I know?because I had the same problem when I stopped recurve.
When I shot the compound for the first time NO GOLD SHYNESS !! and it has never returned.
There is a cure but it is not quick.
If you pm me I will give you what help I can.

Nightimer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nightimer, I've been dealing with that situation for a few years now. I used to enjoy challenging myself at shooting a deer mackenzie in the nose at 30 yards and now I can't hold a pin on target, feeling like I have a wall over my bow. Thank god it goes away when I actually see a live deer and I'm able to make the shot. I realize it's all mental for that reason, but it takes the fun out of target and 3-d shoots. I'd love to hear your input. MyOutdoors

·
Registered
845 Posts
My thought is "target painic" is too general a diagnosis. Pulling, rushing, pushing, torqueing, and in general a dang mess of a shot is a mental problem. If one's groups are good and then go bad or a stray shot is fired it
is mental. The cure.....I don't know but I feel your pain!:pukey:

I just tell myself "this is a machine and it WILL duplicate the shot, if I do!" Then in about ten seconds its aall goonne!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I have suffered with the pin locking at 6 o'clock off and on for several years. I ALWAYS come up from the bottom to get my pin on target and BAM, locks up at 6 o'clock! Nothing I can do except kinda "flip" the pin up there and slam the trigger when it feels good. Amazing how good you can get with this type of shooting and how bad you can miss when you are a little off. Just about a week ago someone recommended either coming on target from the top or kinda just "splashing" my pin on the target really fast, rather than the slow, ease it up there, slower, ease it up, LOCKDOWN method. Well you know what it is working! Just yesterday I shot some of the best 70 yard groups I have shot in a couple of years. I draw my bow and just try to slam my pin straight to the target or slightly above it. I have had little to no problems (yet) getting my pin to settle on target and then finishing off my shot. I shoot an index finger non BT release as well. Hope it works for a while? Two weeks ago I got so punchy I missed a whole Block Pro 4x4 at 40 yards on consecutive arrows! TP or whatever it is sucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts