Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been having some trouble with what I thought was Target Panic lately, but after shooting a shoot here recently, I'm starting to wonder if it's not just Stage Fright... or are they the same MONSTER!!!
I don't seem to have any problems shooting at the practice targets(with other people around) and can stick every dot(dime size) from 20-40 yards, but as soon as you put out the 3D targets, I start to get that tunnel vision with that sudden urge to yank on the release trigger and usually start out good, but fall off gradually as the shots continue to eventually missing (usually over shooting due to not setting the string to the tip of my nose and corner of my mouth). At the worst of it, it seems as soon as I start to look through the peep site, I start to PANIC.
When the 3D shoot is over, I go back to shooting at the practice targets and still get that same feeling for some time, but it eventually goes away, only to reoccur at the next 3D shoot.
Any advice is much appreciated...
Thanks,
PJ

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
HMM, I am the opposite, I had a time where I had a hartime hitting a 2x2 target, but hit the 1st 2 deer I shot at. I cant stand to shoot with strangers either.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
you need to develop a shot routine

and do it on every shot...in practice...then bring it to the tourney

I do ALOT of blank bailing and shooting at 6 yds in my house, OK, that is 99% of my practice....

I shoot with a push pull and I have to tell myself to wait for it on every shot......

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
my kid had the same problem, what i did is eventually would take him daily to shoot at the buisiest shops where there was always a bunch of people shooting i also would shoot with him and crowd him,talk to him ,poke him in the back while shooting sounds cruel but i broke his nerves now my kid 14 can go shoot on the line with all adults being crowded and it doesnt bother him a bit...you need to put yourself in the situation as much as possible and learn to tune everything out...my kid gets in a zone and says he doesnt hear a thing while on the line he is the only kid shooting in adult league at the shop...and he 90% of the adult shooter also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for the advice...

I guess I should ask if when you guys are shooting a 3D meet, if there are other people talking to you while you are trying to shoot? I don't do this to other people, but there seems to be that inconsiderate, rude and crude person or group, that is always around. What do you guys do to tell these people, in a nice way, to Shut Up!!??... or is there a nice way?? I literally had a jerk calling my name, over and over(it was not pep talk), while I was trying to shoot. Is this behavor considered alright to do?
Ever heard of anyone wearing ear plugs to shoot his Bow?

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
ive never had anyone trying to distract me on purpose but i do hear talking you really just need to tune it out and get in a zone....use the search feature and look up tournament nerves and see what come up with if i remember there was some good reading.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
Thanks guys for the advice...

I guess I should ask if when you guys are shooting a 3D meet, if there are other people talking to you while you are trying to shoot? I don't do this to other people, but there seems to be that inconsiderate, rude and crude person or group, that is always around. What do you guys do to tell these people, in a nice way, to Shut Up!!??... or is there a nice way?? I literally had a jerk calling my name, over and over(it was not pep talk), while I was trying to shoot. Is this behavor considered alright to do?
Ever heard of anyone wearing ear plugs to shoot his Bow?
That used to really bother me also. This winter in practicing in the basement I would turn the TV to M-TV (which I hate) and turn the volumn up loud. I'd also have my son's boom box tuned into a radio station I can't stand the music and up loud also. Talk about a racket!

I learned to cite my shot sequence out loud and ignore the noise and execute the shot. MAJOR improvement in my ability to shoot while others are talking.

About the stage fright. I agree with you concously getting a shot sequence down and recite it out loud (softly) if you have to. Sometimes I forget to use my sequence and the old "target panic" monster will raise his head. As soon as that happens I start using my shot sequence consiously again and the TP immediatly goes away.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It sounds like you're getting some good advice. As far as the talking, when I started to shoot indoor targets, 20 some odd years ago, it bothered me as well. You're going to find that it doesn't go away. Any large tournament ALWAYS has noise going on around you and you need to learn to shoot your game with background noise going. Our leagues are shot with a stereo playing in the background and people are always talking behind the shooting line while the lines are being shot. Honestly, with no talking going on, the leagues become too serious and people tend to forget the #1 rule, FUN. Regardless of the level you play the game at, it's just that, a game and it's supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
you need to develop a shot routine

and do it on every shot...in practice...then bring it to the tourney

I do ALOT of blank bailing and shooting at 6 yds in my house, OK, that is 99% of my practice....

I shoot with a push pull and I have to tell myself to wait for it on every shot......
Exactly, when you develop a solid form there's no insecurement that will produce stage fright.
I messed up 1st 4 fita ends in my tournament yesterday (shot 4 28s and a 27 with a lot of deep nines). Then I pulled myself together and tightened up my form which made me start shooting the way I shoot in practice...

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Hello,

I've been having some trouble with what I thought was Target Panic lately, but after shooting a shoot here recently, I'm starting to wonder if it's not just Stage Fright... or are they the same MONSTER!!!
I don't seem to have any problems shooting at the practice targets(with other people around) and can stick every dot(dime size) from 20-40 yards, but as soon as you put out the 3D targets, I start to get that tunnel vision with that sudden urge to yank on the release trigger and usually start out good, but fall off gradually as the shots continue to eventually missing (usually over shooting due to not setting the string to the tip of my nose and corner of my mouth). At the worst of it, it seems as soon as I start to look through the peep site, I start to PANIC.
When the 3D shoot is over, I go back to shooting at the practice targets and still get that same feeling for some time, but it eventually goes away, only to reoccur at the next 3D shoot.
Any advice is much appreciated...
Thanks,
PJ
try shooting at 10 feet or so and git relaxed and shoot a couple of arrows they try to hit the same spot with your eyes closed and try to keep your same form

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I don't seem to have any problems shooting at the practice targets(with other people around) and can stick every dot(dime size) from 20-40 yards, but as soon as you put out the 3D targets, I start to get that tunnel vision
Thanks,
PJ
You might should consider shooting indoors. Sounds like you should be able to win Vegas easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts