Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seemed to have developed a bad case of target panic in the past few weeks. It is very frustrating. I am not the best shot in the world but usually shoot in the high 280s on paper. the past few weeks it has gone downhill fast and I dont know what to do. I love archery but i also hate being horrible at anything I do! Its hard to explain, If I draw my bow over with no intentions of shooting i can hold very steady over the x and my pin floats nice and easy around it, but as soon as my finger is on the trigger its a totally different ballgame! Sometimes I hold my pin low and its like its locked there and wont move, and other times I am all over the place and trying to punch my release as I pass by the x. From what Ive read it is pretty common but i want to fix it! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Get up real close to the target. Just pull the bow back and aim without shooting. Do this a bunch. Drawing, aiming, letting down then drawing again. After you do this a while then try aiming & shooting while still being close to the target. If you can't get the pin on the spot don't shoot. Just let down and try again. If you can hold the pin on the spot and shoot then move back a few steps and see if you still can. It's harder to get your pin on a spot at 20 yards then it is at 10 feet. So you need to start close so the spot is bigger. I've had it and it sucks! I switched to left handed, it helped me a bunch. But not everyone can just buy all new equipment to do that. Just take your time. You need to re-train your brain again. Just take your time with it.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Good stuff Capt'n D.....Also, look at going with a thumb release...When u draw come from the the top down into the target
The thumb release can help, but it can also magnify the problem worse. Try a thumb release first, but dont be surprised if you have to go to a pull through or back tension release. I have had it also, and still deal with it some what to this day. I have been working hard to beat it for close to 4yrs now, with times it being worse then others. Just be patient and you will learn to eventually get through to process. The biggest part is that you need to make your shot process like 2nd nature. The more you think, the worse your shooting is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I had the worse case of this at one time missing the whole target at 20 yards. To say the least I was not to happy. I bought the book by larry wise core archery and learned the proper way to use back tension in general. i do use a back tension release. I worked really hard with this release and after doing what the book told me i went to a 3d shoot and got second place only after using it for 2 weeks. I scored a 196 out of 200 the first round. It was great. if you use it right it wont take as long as you think.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to my local shop today and began to learn how to use a back tension release. I must say that it may take some getting used to but it was crazy how steady i could hold on target. I shot fairly well with it. Gonna stick to it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Went to a thumb trigger, shooting only bt, (still learning it), I know its not the release, but the technique you use to shoot it, has helped me alot, Daniel Boones post, on here about the pros and back tension has a great vid, explaining bt, and how to do it, check it out,

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Just a note...A hinge is not the end-all, be-all, fix-all that many claim it to be. It will help you to learn what "aiming" really is, but you can anticipate the shot just as bad, or worse. If it's what you wanna do, do it! There are some sweet ones (Inside Out!) but if you wanna beat TP, AIM!!! Forget about the release. Form=results.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think it comes from tyring to hard. I know if I really try hard to shoot a X the scope wants to fall out the bottom but if I just shoot at the X its fine.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Learning to shoot proper BT will help big time!! But, I've been having alot of problems shooting for scores that count. I can shoot 3d with no problem. But, when i shoot for score indoor I fall apart. It is driving me crazy!!! I know I can shoot a 300 easy. But, I go to ***** when I shoot for score. Target panic is normal, so don't feel alone!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts