Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
solutions

I asked Micheal Braden the same question on his site and he told me to try aiming without shooting and shooting without aiming. That meaning to aim for 25 or 30 sec. at the target without shooting( finger behind the trigger ) Do this about 6-10 times. Don't actually count to 25 or 30 but hold it as long as you can. After doing that go up close to your target and draw back get your pin set and close your eyes and squeeze off your shots, and do this 6 - 10 times. Continue to do this for the next month or so. Everyday do it. I have just started to try it everyday and I must admit it is working. I robin hooded an arrow at 27 yards tonight. But give this an honest try and it will work for you. But you have to be honest with yourself, Check your ego at the door(assuming you have an ego that is). Make good honest shots because I know exactly what you are going through, trust me. It seems as though you can't stop yourself from shooting no matter what you do. As soon as the pin gets on target your arrow is gone and even before your pin gets on the target alot of times. I have been struggling with this for 6 months now and just this week i started doing what micheal braden said and it is already starting to work so give it a try. Hope this helps, Shayne.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Had it real bad for 3 1/2 years. Almost gave up archery. Went to back tension 2 months ago. Target panic gone in first 20 minutes. Don't ask me how, or why or what ever. I'm sitting here right now still shaking my head, I still can't believe it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your not alone, trust me. Everybody i know has had some sort of this crap we call target panic.But you can get through it by hard work and determination.The advice from Braden is right on the money.Aimming practice is huge and is a part of my normal practice routine.You have to become calm about your pin movement and your pin staying on the spot.Good luck!!!! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Concentrate...Target Panic is more of a myth or an excuse for not shooting as you would like. You get frustrated and start punching the trigger when not on target. I have had the so called Target Panic but I got over it easily. Just make yourself hold on the bullseye with your finger off of your release, then put it on and shoot. There are so many things you can do.. Just concentrate and it will leave. Target Panic really isn't a big deal, as i had it REALLY bad to where i broke all 6 of my arrows. It took me about a week and i was fine. Now i shoot better than i ever have. Dont worry about TP,,, with a little work it will become nothing.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Target Panic A Myth?

Target panic is hardly a myth. Like Braden said it is a sort of anxiety, and it is all mental. This game of archery is 90% mental. That is why it is a little difficult to get over target panic, because it is subconcious effort to control the shot turned to a concious effort. when you shoot all you should think about is aiming. The shot should go off with out you thinking about it. Just give bradens method a try for about a month and your problem should be a thing of the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.