Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have three haybales i ratchet strap to compress. with my bow from my sig it is always pushing arrows into the bales a good distance, some stop about an inch from the fletching which puts about 8-10" out the back of the bales, what i am thinking about doing is putting a piece of plywood with a piece of carpet in front of it, place the board on the back of the bales so that the arrows will not go into the bale far enough to rip off fletchings, will my arrow hitting the carpet covered board hurt the arrow, or would they be fine to shoot into it since its only going out the back 8-10" on average?

thanks

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd probably try to attach the carpet to the back of the bales without the plywood, maybe double it over, the carpet will stop/slow down the arrow a lot, but the plywood may damage them.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Haybales were ok in the old days or maybe with a recurve bow. Maybe with really big fat arrow. The bow we have now with some poundage and smaller diameter carbon arrow haybale are not going to hold arrows every long. Carbon and the bow we have now days just put out to much energy. I will always remember when the carbon arrow first came out the targets and 3 D we shooting just wasn't any good any more the new carbons were just blowing through them.

·
Registered
51,117 Posts
I agree dump the hay bales not a good target for todays bows. You can pick up a nice bag target and hang it for little money. As far as plywood nix the idea it will wreck your arrows. If you use a carpet don't put it tight behind, just hang it so it is loose.;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have targets at closer yardages. my haybales were just for my 70-90 shooting for just fun practicing, i didnt want to get another bag for that yardage, we will see if i can get them pressed down a little more or maybe just have to get a bag

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I use 3/4" plywood as my backstop. Yes, it can damage the arrows, depending on what you're using. I sometimes get passthroughs and have the FP buried into the wood without any damage, but I wouldn't want to do that every time.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
problem solved i got bored and sick of hurtin arrows so i built a layered carpet target, works like a dream

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have my bales against the shop wall , draped a length of conveyor belt rubber that I found over the back , plus I have about 8 pieces of cardboard between the bales and the rubber.

Bow is only set at 54# and shooting at 20 yards and so far so good , I shoot about 3 - 4 times a week and have had the same bales for about a year now , I do move the target around ( 3 spots ) , but the price was right : $8 investment :)

Working on building a carpet target as well , have 1/2 the amount of carpet needed already cut up.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just some specs on my carpet. i had the strips three foot long and one foot wide, they seem to work really well once i got it compressed the right amount, the overall height is probably 2.5-3 foot. i just eyeballed on a three foot square for it, works well and costed me 18 dollars for the allthread and hardware

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
If you want to use plywood as a backstop go to your auto parts store and get a rubber mud flap for a tractor-trailer..rubber not plastic..works great without damage to your arrow... also a piece of 5/16ths partical board will work too...the arrow will penetrate but its easy to pull out..its the hard stop that damages or cracks your insert loose,,JMO

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
mud flaps for semis as a backstop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts