Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a release, by carter or otherwise, that top line target shooters use that is NOT back tension?

I see that some of the Carters can be BT or thumb activated, but would you get the accuracy of a target release?

I have nothing against back tension, it seems like it takes a while to master, but I like knowing when I am shooting.

Thanks- Brian

PS Do any of the pro's use a thumb or hunter style release?

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Brian - you can (and should) shoot all of the trigger and triggerless Carter releases with back tension. Plus you can command shoot any release as well.

You can view the entire Carter line at:
http://www.carterenterprises.com/

And you can shoot them any way you want. In the long run, you will have greater success spending the time learning to get a surprise release with back tension.

Good shooting.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
PastorBrian;

"PS Do any of the pro's use a thumb or hunter style release"

A number of the top European FITA archers use wrist releases, such as Scott releases.

-CG

·
Registered
644 Posts
Michael Braden shoots the One and two shot with amazing back tension! I've seen other who use the Carter,Tru Ball and Scott wrist type releases. I know the Tru Ball short and sweet and the ittybitty gooses are good from my use!

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
From what I have seen, Braden's Carter caliper is set so stiff, a dump truck could run over it and not set it off.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
the carter just cuz is my choice, i use it with back tension, i don't like backtension releases that much, sinse i do all, hunt a little, 3d, and target. so in a hunting situation, you may need to pull the trigger.
i would get the solution 3, that would be perfect for me, except it is so much money. and no, tyler88 or peter, i won't get one used!!! lol :)
but don't go with what i say on how much i love the just cuz release, try them out and see what fits best in your hand. all the releases are the same quality with the trigger releases. but you can have one a pro uses and shoots top scores with, and you won't do good with it if it doesn't fit in your hand.
i had a fits me release, and i shot terrible with it because it didn't "fit me".

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a scott release for hunting, so I seem to be in good company there!
I was wondering also...
would these thumb style releases (that can be used with back tension) will they help me stop "punching" the release?

When I begin to get tired, especially, I seem to GRAB instead of pull through...I know if I get into target shooting this is unacceptable!

Thnaks-
Brian
(I have lots more questons, thanks for answering!)

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
no, and if you get tired then you should stop shooting.
the thumb triggers only allow you to do back tension easier. if you want to stop punching it get a pure back tension release. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
YOu can get a spring attachment for the trigger that will, well "help" you not to punch yuur release.

·
74,535 Posts
Nothing wrong with thunb releases

Theres lots of shooters setting record scores with thumb releases. BT is not the total answer. Griv,Dean Pridgen,Michael Braden are just few good pros using thumb releases.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
pb,

ox was right in saying that a surprise release should be a goal for you. IMHO, i'd advise you to get ahold of a three or four finger pure bt release (carter colbey/hinge is a great release to begin with) and stick with it until you are getting a surprise release. if you just settle for command shooting, you're leaving yourself wide open for target panic. true, there are some top shooters who use wrist releases, but most people i know who shoot target with one fight with tp on a regular basis.

be well.............jay

·
Registered
972 Posts
If when you get tired and start grabbing instead of pulling through, I would go with a cascade. This is a thumb trigger of sorts, but instead of pushing on the trigger, you push in the trigger and slowly let it out. If you were going to get one I would recommend the Model 10, this can be changed from a relax release to a regular thumb trigger. Give it a try!!!
PM me if you have any questions about them.

Tyler

·
Registered
106 Posts
Target release

I've only been shooting for about a month. Started jerking with my Truball short-n-sweet almost immediately. I was doing crazy things as I went to squeeze the trigger. It even caused me to lose a couple of arrows by jerking way off the mark. After reading about BT on here, I went to my proshop and borrowed a Tru-Ball sweet spot. I love it. I don't know if I'm experiencing the true back tension or not but it is a surprise everytime. It is even more of a surprise how accurate I am with this release. I know many on here have said the safety on the bt doesn't matter but I like having the safety on the sweet spot for let downs. I plan on buying the sweet spot 4 to continue my Backtension journey. Surprise release is the only way to go.

·
Registered
969 Posts
i shoot a chappy boss and a Carter target 4. I've shot a back tension release once and i have no need for it. Every shot suprises me with my trigger releases, and shoot just fine. But its all personal preference. I think people make the game to complicated.

point and shoot

Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts