Archery Talk Forum banner

target rest question

464 Views 17 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  donedealtim
I just put a golden key futura infinity rest on my target bow. My first question is how the heck do you shoot with it without looking like a ****** because your arrow falls off! lol! Its about an 8th of an inch wide. I have never used one before and only tried it because it came with the bow. Any help would be appreciated.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope

If its falling off the rest then you most likely have some nock pinch. Seperate those d-loop knots so there not so snug on the nock.
Its not too tight there its just im not used to being so careful trying to pull back my bow. Whoever thought of shooting off such a skinny rest must be more graceful than me!

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
?

Does it really help to use that kind of rest? Im suppose to shoot a tourney this weekend and im gonna look stupid! lol! I was using a limbdriver and was shooting great but I HAD to tinker! I think I might have to switch to the two prong rest.

· Registered
899 Posts
The rest is not going to make you more accurate, but it cant misfire like on a drop away rest there is a chance it not working correctly and with top shooters winning by single points theres no room for mistakes like the rest not working right.

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
practice

The rest is not going to make you more accurate, but it cant misfire like on a drop away rest there is a chance it not working correctly and with top shooters winning by single points theres no room for mistakes like the rest not working right.
Guess I better practice a lot this week so it doesnt happen too much this weekend! Thats why I switched because I wanted something that didnt move. I hope I get the hang of it.

· Registered
1,878 Posts
The rest is a great rest---
there are many launchers that you can use with it to control the shaft
I think the longer you work with it--the better you'll like it
You might get aquanted with it easier with the prongs/while you work on the support tension adjustments

and work on less ridged launchers when you get use to the way the rest works for you

· Bowhemian
8,311 Posts
Chances are you are pulling a little too much weight, which tends to make you yank a little on the draw. You've got to pull smooth and steady with a lizard tongue.

I tried one of those Infiniti rests some years back. While I am partial to lizard tongue rests I didn't care for that one because it has more dials and gauges than a bombsight. I sold it and got a Trophy-Taker Spring Steel, which is as simple as it gets and is the best rest I've ever tried. It's been on my present bow for over a year now and I haven't touched it since I installed it and it's still right on. Solid as a rock and no adjustments needed.

· Registered
1,948 Posts
I have two infinity drop aways. There great rest!. Depends on which launcher you are using. Theres the tm hunter style and there is one similiar to a lizard toungue except its more like a V. I shoot one of each.
How much rotation do you get with your peep? Make sure your nocks aren't too tight. Also make sure your arrows are level on your rest otherwise there might be some bouncing and that would cause them to fall off.:darkbeer:

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

Thanks for the tips. Im gonna give it a try again today. I was shooting my hunting bow first to get it sighted in and then I wenf to the targer bow and its only set at 56-57# so it is a lot easier to pull back. Sometimes I would just plain pull too hard and it would fall off at the end of my draw cycle. I have no idea what the adjustment on the side needs to be set at either. I got the rest with the bow. I think I may switch to one that doesnt move like the trophy taker. Just want something simple.

· Registered
15,839 Posts
Its about an 8th of an inch wide. I have never used one before and only tried it because it came with the bow. Any help would be appreciated.
It was probably set to shoot ACE's. You need to open it up some. You have to be smooth on the draw to use prong rests. You want to set it so the prongs are just touching in between the hen and cock fletching. You also want the nocking point about an 1/8th or a 1/4" above square.

I have several. You want the tension adjustment to hold the arrow in position. I usually back mine off until the arrow drops a little when set on. Then I move it one hole up so it stays in place.

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
?

You cant adjust the size of the rest. its a single blade. What is the reason for the tension setting on the side? Wouldnt it work just as good if it just stayed in place the whole time and couldnt move?

· Registered
1,133 Posts
You cant adjust the size of the rest. its a single blade. What is the reason for the tension setting on the side? Wouldnt it work just as good if it just stayed in place the whole time and couldnt move?
yup. you can either have it so that the blade does all the work or have a weaker spring tension to accomplish the same thing. I would have it so that it has a higher spring tension so that the blade does all the work.

· Registered
8,628 Posts
Does it really help to use that kind of rest? Im suppose to shoot a tourney this weekend and im gonna look stupid! lol! I was using a limbdriver and was shooting great but I HAD to tinker! I think I might have to switch to the two prong rest.
Why did you change from the LimbDriver? I think this is one of the best rest on the market and it is probably the one of the only rest on the market that can't misfire.

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
switched

I wanted something that I knew for sure couldnt fail. Its on my target bow and I had that rest laying around. Guess I shouldnt have messed with it a week before a shoot!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.