Archery Talk Forum banner

Small, very protable target for discharge and treestand practice

• Yes, I would be interested

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No, I would not be interested

Votes: 12 63.2%

Target size for crossbows

725 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Revival
Just out of curiosity....I want to see if there would be any interest in a small crossbow capable target, say about 8" square, that you could easily bring out to the woods with you and throw on the ground so from your treestand you could easily discharge your bow into it, or even practice from your stand. My thinking is that most targets are too big to drag a mile or more into the woods with you and if they were inexpensive enough you could get a few of them and toss them at various distances from your stand to practice with without breaking your back dragging them out there...Not sure what the feasability of this may be, but most of us can hit an 8" circle at hunting distance and it would be easier than dragging back a cocked bow and or shooting into the ground and potentialy damaging an arrow...For the sake of this pole say the target was say $25-50 ish...

Wyvern
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
I would be interested if they worked like the Spyderweb. I hate shooting even a practice bolt into the ground. And sometimes the ground is as hard as a rock. Bolts are not cheap

· Registered
21,794 Posts
Take a tube sock stuff it full of old tee shirts and shoot it with a blunt. I would rather see some way to safely let down the bow so we can slip out of the woods. With out shooting the bow myself and making all that noise.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm...interesting responses so far...I would have though there would have been more interest...Ahhh...the realities of market research :)
Wyvern

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm also a "no" voter. I just don't see me spending money on it. For practice, bigger is better, but with small aiming points. I typically unload at home and on longer trips my truckser is already packed pretty full. The last thing I am looking for is something else to worry about getting to the truck, much less the stand.

· Registered
1,174 Posts
I would rather go back to my car when done hunting and discharge my bow there. I don't want to make more noise then I have to when hunting season is in progress. As for practiceing well before season maybe but not for hunting season. I will take the cocked bow to my car and discharge my bow there. NOT in the woods.

Brian

· Registered
734 Posts
I voted "no" because I have an Excalibur and at the end of the hunt I let it down and walk out of the woods.

For me this works great as I hunt in Connecticut and hunting ends at sunset. Connecticut considers a cocked crossbow a loaded weapon and if your crossbow is cocked, with or without an arrow, you are deemed to be hunting.
If I discharged my xbow at the truck I would have to end my hunt earlier and lose some prime-time.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.