Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
NASP instructor
4,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most guys might say that its personal preference but i want some input...

I shoot MBR in the IBO and currently I'm shooting an 18" DCAP stab. What length are most of you guys shooting mbo or mbr using?

I was thinking maybe jumping to a 24" stab... What do ya'll think?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
mine is 30. but I would prefer a smaller one. 12" with more weight.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
a 24" stab isn't a jump up in my opinion....that's more of a crawl :wink: For me if I were to shoot a stab under 30" I might as well just shoot a 12" rod.

The object is to get the weight as far away as possible from the bow......I don't shoot a lot of 3D anymore but when I do I still use the same rod I do for field....which is 35" :)

When I shot only 3D I used a rod in the 28-33" range....it would just depend on which rod it was.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I shoot a 24" and will be going to 30" with less weight.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I shoot a 36" stabilizer with 6 oz out front with a 15" back bar with 18oz--it holds like a dream :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Stab

The minimum length, INMO, is 30" or longer depending on how stable it feels and you should go for a very stiff rod, If you can flex it in your hands, it is not stiff enough, - at the end of the stab you put a weight that will enable you to hold your aiming point in the gold, the rule of thumb is that if your aiming point makes small jerky movements, add weight to the end of the stab, if the aiming point makes slow large movements, - reduce weight.

Good shooting.

Mike.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
i shoot 30inch, works well.

·
Member # 75
3,483 Posts
The primary criteria for the length of a target stabilizer is whatever length will allow you rest your bowarm between shots without unhooking or disengaging the bowsling or bowstrap. To be able to rest the tip of the rod on the ground out in front of you with no weight on your bowarm and your forearm no lower than horizontal.

This is more important than worrying about an exact stabilizer length, like whether it is 32 or 34 or whatever.

This is the reason that long stabilizers even came into being right after compound bows. We used to rest the tip of the bowlimb on the toe of our shoe with recurves but obviously not with compounds.

The first long rods were tapered aluminum in 24, 30, and 35 inch length.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
I was using the Doinker Carbon Elite in 36". But my B-stinger 10.25 with QD and 11 oz weight works better so why lug around that big ole bar?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I use a 30" with 5 oz on the end and it is very steady.

I also use a 12" back bar with 10oz on the end.

If you are shooting a class that does not restrict stab length, I would go for a longer front rod (>30") and a side rod setup to balance the bow. Steady and balanced cannot be beat.

CG

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I use 15" b stinger premier rod with 8oz smooth stability wt and a 8" rear rod with 6.5oz in rear works great on Scepter 4

·
Premium Member
4,462 Posts
Hey Joe
I guess I would have to ask what bow are you shooting? I think if your shooting a 33" ATA bow then I think a 30 " stab will work good. Been seeing alot of guys using a 30-33" B-Stingers on longer ATA bows. It get expensive to try any of these stabs. Maybe they should let you try it before you buy it. For me I've been using Posten on my Athens. Oh I have also seen alot of Smooth Stability Stabs also! Good Luck with your choice. The Athens has been shooting really good as of late! Think I'm gonna keep her for a while.
Glen

·
Registered
516 Posts
I love my 33" b stinger with a 10" back rod. 12oz on front and 36oz on the back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts