Archery Talk Forum banner

target v hunting arrows

1994 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  TH1972
what is the difference between target arrows that are carbon/aluminum "target" arrows and say the axis st 340s that i already have.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,637 Posts
Generally speaking "target" arrows will be held to higher standards of straightness, weight uniformity and spine consistency that arrows intended only for hunting. Also, target arrows are generally skinnier (smaller diameter) that hunting arrows so they will be less affected by wind. In the case of the two most popular carbon/aluminum target arrows, Easton's ACE and X10, they are of barreled construction, meaning the center of the arrow is slightly larger in diameter and it tapers toward both ends. This allows even smaller diameter shafts with sufficient stiffness (spine) to be used with the range of draw weights popular for target shooting.

Hope this helps,
Dave

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply

so on that basis, I could infer that since the arrows are more consistent in grain weight and spine that they would be a better arrow. Do you think that a target arrow would be good for hunting. I have seen how inaccurate price point arrows can be and I want to but a very good arrow I just dont have the funds to really get the best, so what ever I get I need it to be durable. I was on ebay and saw some cartel shafts and it siad they were comprable with the easton x10 but since I dont know about easton x10s I couldnt really make a judgment on what that meant. sorry for rambling, but I really do appreciate your input.

· Registered
2,637 Posts
To my knowledge there is no way to mount a broad head on either the X10, the ACE or for that matter the CX Nano (the other top end target shaft). The closest you are going to come is the Easton ACC. It is the same carbon/aluminum technology and is very uniform in weight, straightness and spine. It is not a barreled shaft and in the larger sizes (appropriate to heavier hunting bows) they will take screw in broad heads. The ACC is probably the best arrow for the money you can find. I know there a quite a few archers out there who hunt with them.

Dave

PS: My opinion is worth exactly what you're paying for it (LOL). Others will probably differ.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
The target shafts are more lets say a specality arrow. Desgined to help cut wind drift or help cut lines some are designed to be in a much higher tolerance to make them more repetable for improved accuracy ect,ect. The A/C/C shaft mentioned above have the best overall mix of these caricoristics witch makes them a great all around shaft.

If you are just looking for better straightness and tuff arrows then I would highly recommend looking at either the Gold tip pro hunter .001 straightness or the XT hunter .003 straightness. These are a more budget arrow price but they are the best arrows for the money IMHO. Hope this helps and good luck

· Registered
Xpedition Mako X
5 Posts
Another twist to the story is that you use different arrows for indoor and outdoor competition.. I have Easton 2315 alloy shafts for indoor competition (the largest allowed caliber=easier to brake the line on the 10) and I'm looking into the Easton Navigator for outdoor use..

Then I have a few Easton 2216 alloy for hunting, but I'm loooking into equipping the Navigators with BH:s.. We'll see how that works out? Have to test a little with the FOC point and connection to the arrow..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.