Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on a serious budget and thought maybe I could try my whitetail target as a decoy. It's shot-up pretty good, but it still looks realistic. Should I use some paint to clean up some of the fading or will that screw up scent control? Our season doesn't open until October.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Sure you can use your target. Paint any un-natural looking areas and make it scent free. I once lugged my full size McKenzie deer target into the woods with me. It was just about dark and I left my stand 10 minutes early because I had so much to cary. I brought my backpack and bow to the road and when I returned for the target/deke there was a big eight pointer faced off with it. Oh well!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I used a mckenzie 3-d target in west virginia, brought in a 6 pointer from a 100 yards and he was chasing two does he came in to about 25 yrds and I could not get a shot at him because of a tree,but the 3-d target did bring him in.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
chuck7413 said:
Sure you can use your target. Paint any un-natural looking areas and make it scent free. I once lugged my full size McKenzie deer target into the woods with me. It was just about dark and I left my stand 10 minutes early because I had so much to cary. I brought my backpack and bow to the road and when I returned for the target/deke there was a big eight pointer faced off with it. Oh well!
That would be my luck!!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I agree with the above. Targets make great decoys. I use the Rinehart feeding doe alot. It is very realistic. I've had some very good experiences with it.

The first time I used a decoy I took an old Wal-Mart Blueridge target that was shot up pretty bad and only had one ear. I had a big mature buckcome in and look at "her" and walked around "her" to get a sniff. It was a slam dunk shot except I scraped the tree with my back on very still morning. He didn't stay around long.

One thing I learned last year with decoying is to put a handkerchef or napkin on the butt so that the wind will blow it and get some movement. I had a nice buck walk from the woods into the field last year in IL and never saw the decoy that was on the field edge. The fellows I was hunting with told me to try the napkin next time. I'll see this year if it works.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I do use the decoy, I thought about taking an old tail from from a skin I tanned and attach it to the target. Maybe I'll add the napkin to it to give it more movement. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I had a nice six pointer come in and try to make babies until he smelt her back. I forgot to spray up there, would have been a chip shot though. I'm going to try attaching some white maribou feathers for movement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.